Getting Data In

Append field to event data

rantravee
Path Finder

hello,

Using a custom script input I can obtain some data from a particular network resource. I would like to know if is possible to inject/append a field to the generated event indexed by splunk , so that I can augment my knowledge about each event.

Thanks

0 Karma

rroberts
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

One approach would be to leverage lookups. Checkout: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Knowledge/Addfieldsfromexternaldatasources?r=sear...

You can create field=value pairs on the the fly to augment knowledge about your events.

rantravee
Path Finder

Interesting, but there seems to be a limitation.

If I understood correctly, one can create new fields/values , but they must be somehow related to the event through an field that is already contained by the event.

I need to add/inject a field=value pair to my event , that is completely unrelated to any of it's fields.

And I need to do it on the fly . Is there any possibility to allow me to do this

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...