Getting Data In

After installing universal forwarders, why am I getting error "you currently don't have any forwarders installed" for Add Data in Splunk Web?

sayz
Path Finder

Hi all;

I'm installing a universal forwarder on my Linux and Windows machines. After that, I'm starting to get the data with splunk add monitor /path/to/logfile.log and I see all of my data under the Search and Reporting app (data summary as well):

data summary

I want to use the "splunk add data section" to add my data but i can not see my forwarders in add data section. And i'm getting this error:

add data

Actually I have 3 or 4 forwarders installed, but I cannot see them. How canI fix it?

not: to see windows event log in splunk we have to use that section.

DUThibault
Contributor

I had the same problem until I registered the forwarders with the Splunk Enterprise instance (ostensibly for configuration control). Though this step is described as an optional convenience (without explicitly saying so), it turns out to be absolutely necessary: without it, the Splunk Enterprise instance won't see the forwarders even though it's listening for them!

On the receiver, enable listening using:

# /opt/splunk/bin/splunk enable listen <port> -auth <splunkusername>:<password>

On each forwarder, designate the receiver using:

# splunk add forward-server <hostname or ip_address>:<listening port> [-auth <splunkusername>:<password>]

On the receiver, register the forwarders:

# splunk set deploy-poll <hostname or ip_address>:<management port>
0 Karma

ptur
Path Finder

Have you been able to resolve this?

I'm experiencing exactly the same behavior - (we are new to splunk) - is this "expected" by any chance, in "managed cloud" deployment?

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

By "manged cloud", I'm assuming your referring to Splunk Cloud SaaS?

Your hosts where the forwarders are installed aren't managed by Splunk so it should be a Splunk Cloud issue. Go ahead and start a new question and I'd be glad to walk you through it

0 Karma

mpiercemi9retai
Engager

Same problem here. I would like to see this get solved. I went through the instructions twice. Restarted both the forwarder and the server that the forwarder is installed on and nothing works. The forwarder does not come up under my instance. I tried using another web browser too.

I did try to telnet input-prd-p-zhfqvtr4lbbt.cloud.splunk.com:9997 (the server in my output.conf file) and was not able to connect. This tells me that the cloud server is not functional?

When will the solution be working again? Is there an ETA? I would like to get this rolled out for all of our SaaS clients, but not possible at the moment.

Thanks,Same problem here. You install the forwarder, add your universal forwarder credentials, restart, and it does not show up in the instance. Restart again, restart the server that the forwarder is installed on. Then log on and off the instance. Use another web browser to access the instance. Nothing works.

So I ran a telnet to input-prd-p-zhfqvtr4lbbt.cloud.splunk.com:9997 (which is the server in my output.conf file) and was not able to access. I do not think their cloud offering is working at this time.

I would love to buy this solution, but first I have to demo it to my manager. Love to get it working.

Is there an ETA for when the cloud solution will be working again?

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should open a support case and generate a diag file (This will be the first thing support will ask for)

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Troubleshooting/Generateadiag

In the mean time, post your inputs.conf and outputs.conf from SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local and I'll take a look

0 Karma

gneumann_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you haven’t resolved the issues with seeing your installed forwarders, try the following links and confirm you have performed the steps listed for setting up the universal forwarder with Windows and Linux for Splunk Cloud instances. The instructions are slightly different.
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.5.1/User/ForwardDataToSplunkCloudFromWindows
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.5.1/User/ForwardDataToSplunkCloudFromLinux

0 Karma

sayz
Path Finder

nope,
I did all of them correctly.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

DO you have access to the servers where the forwarders are installed? Did you restart the Splunk service after making changes to the forwarder configurations?

0 Karma

sayz
Path Finder

i have access to the servers and I have restarted a lot of times. But the result did not change.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Go to the server and go under /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/system/local and edit the inputs.conf.. It should look something like this

[default]
host = HOSTNAME

[monitor:///opt/xxx/xxx/logs/server.log
disabled = false
sourcetype = server 
index=YOUR_INDEX_NAME

Also, is your outputs.conf pointing to the indexer?

0 Karma

sayz
Path Finder

unfortunately it did not work.

and yes i have configured my outputs.conf as well but the result is same.

0 Karma

skoelpin
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you being blocked by a firewall? You could always check splunkd.log for errors

This is located at /opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log

0 Karma

sayz
Path Finder

It's not possible. I do not have any firewall rule. There is that line in my splunkd.log:

11-28-2016 21:35:01.773 +0000 INFO  TcpOutputProc - Connected to idx=MY_SPLUNK_CLOUD_INSTANCE_IP:9997

and as i said before i can see my data in splunk cloud but i can not add from add data section. i need to add from there.

I had added in my self service cloud deployment but now i'm using a managed cloud deployment. Could it be related to it?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...