Getting Data In

500 error after splunk reboot

Bulluk
Path Finder

I added a mailhost to splunk and then rebooted as per the notice at the top of the page. When it came back up I got the usual login screen but after login in as the admin account I was greeted with the following error:

InternalServerError: [HTTP 500] Splunkd internal error; [{'text': "In handler 'user-prefs': Application does not exist: user-prefs", 'code': None, 'type': 'ERROR'}]

I've compared the /etc/users directory to a working instance of splunk and can't see any differences. I've checked that the /etc/apps/user-prefs application exists and again it's identical to a working server.

At this point, as a Splunk newb I don't really know what else to look for so any help is really appreciated!

I'm running Splunk 4.2.4 on a Windows 2008 machine

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Bulluk
Path Finder

My problem turned out to be a daft one. For reasons that I won't bore you with I have splunk universal forwarder AND the full version of splunk on the same server. As a result, when I performed a restart of splunkweb there was a chance that it would bind to the forwarder port rather than the full instance. The fix was to simply move one of them to another port, ie I now have the forwarder on 8090 and the full instance is on 8091

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Bulluk
Path Finder

My problem turned out to be a daft one. For reasons that I won't bore you with I have splunk universal forwarder AND the full version of splunk on the same server. As a result, when I performed a restart of splunkweb there was a chance that it would bind to the forwarder port rather than the full instance. The fix was to simply move one of them to another port, ie I now have the forwarder on 8090 and the full instance is on 8091

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...