Deployment Architecture

deployment server clients not showing up

dglass0215
Path Finder

Hello,

When I view the deployment clients under forwarder management, not all my clients are being displayed. Every time I add a client, I can see that the client indeed does download the apps but is not displayed as a client. Currently the deployment server lists 40 clients. And every time I add a client it just stays at 40. Any help is appreciated.

David

0 Karma
1 Solution

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you please confirm whether new universal forwarder has different GUID ? You can find GUID in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg on Universal Forwarder.

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi dglass0215,
new clients are installed or cloned by another one? if cloned, check hostname in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/server.conf and $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/inputs.conf.

Bye.
Giuseppe

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you please confirm whether new universal forwarder has different GUID ? You can find GUID in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg on Universal Forwarder.

dglass0215
Path Finder

I think this is the problem! Gotta love splunk answers! Faster response then actual support!

However why would I have multiple machines with the same GUID in instance.cfg, and more importantly, What do i do to fix it?

Thanks!

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you are cloning machines or splunk forwarder is installed in base image then you'll get same GUID on all new server installation.

To clear GUID on new builds, follow this process https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/7.3.1/Forwarder/Makeauniversalforwarderpartofahostim...

To create new GUID on existing installation, perform below steps (When you perform below steps, double check hostname in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/server.conf and $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/inputs.conf , if those are not correct then you can change those when you are performing below steps)

1. Stop Splunk
  2. Remove $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/instance.cfg
  3. Start Splunk (This will create new instance.cfg automatically)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...