Deployment Architecture

Specifying class while reloading deploy-server not working in Splunk 6

caseypike
Path Finder

/opt/splunk/bin $ /opt/splunk/bin/splunk reload deploy-server -class MyClass
An error occurred:
Argument "class" is not supported by this handler.

Is this still supported in Splunk 6?

1 Solution

caseypike
Path Finder

Version 6.1.3 - Release Notes, released on August 4, 2014.

The following issues have been resolved in this release:

Unsorted issues

• splunk reload deploy-server -class is not supported in 6.0 but works in 5.0.x.(SPL-85118)

Thank you!!!

View solution in original post

caseypike
Path Finder

Version 6.1.3 - Release Notes, released on August 4, 2014.

The following issues have been resolved in this release:

Unsorted issues

• splunk reload deploy-server -class is not supported in 6.0 but works in 5.0.x.(SPL-85118)

Thank you!!!

greich
Communicator

verified in production (cluster) on 6.1.3

0 Karma

ekost
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The reload by serverclass CLI command has been added in 6.0.5 per the Release Notes. It is expected to be included in an upcoming maintenance release on the 6.1.x branch. Check the Release Notes page for confirmation. Thanks to all for the feedback that got this command reinstated!

Lucas_K
Motivator

ok just finished testing and can confirm that it is back in 6.0.5

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

Just wish tenants got restored (removed in 6.0.5 ironically) and then i'd be back to the same functionality as v5 sigh
I really feels like the deployment server part of the product gets the ass end of development.I don't think splunk understands that in big organisations with internal firewalls sometimes the ONLY access you are going to get is with a single firewall rule. Sometimes this is the only difference between getting access to the data or never getting it. More data=larger license=splunks best financial interest.It should be easier to get data in.Not harder(tenants&classes removal).

0 Karma

davidpaper
Contributor

It's not nice to remove features that provide operational granularity for making changes. Please put it back!

0 Karma

lmyrefelt
Builder

This is somewhat supposed to be back in 6.0.2 but now in the UI. If you go into your app in forwarder-management and choose edit, but do nothing and choose save, it will do a reload.

0 Karma

greich
Communicator

UI is not the same use case. The use case is about splitting config edition and config deployment. Currently if a deploy is done, anything modified is pushed, without the capability to control which should/should not be pushed.

Lucas_K
Motivator

I didn't think it was back yet even in 6.0.3. I'd be VERY cautious using DS for complex deployments until 6.0.4. Do your own testing in an environment that you can handle breaking. It can and will remove apps from remote systems.

I've been told most of the v6 breaking ds bugs are fixed in that version (0.4) I've been waiting since the .0 release so we can upgrade. I've had to run multiple instances to get around this issue (v5's and v6's).

0 Karma

wrangler2x
Motivator

Is this going to be put back in? I use it all the time. Really don't want splunk 6 if this is missing.

0 Karma

gmti
Engager

This was removed? Completely boneheaded, but I guess Splunk developers are clueless about real-life deployments and the effectiveness of cute UI tools. (a'la many of the UI capabilities not working with SHP's.) The minus class flag is an invaluable feature when you manage many serverclasses for many thousands of splunkforwarders. Guess waiting for 6.02 to be released, wasn't long enough to get an enterprise ready upgrade to Splunk 5.

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

Do the apps have the same name but different configurations? ie. you might have specific configs that are different for pdc's vs bdc's.

If so then you'll be experiencing this issue also ( http://answers.splunk.com/answers/114446/serverclassconf-using-the-same-app-name-under-different-cla... )

0 Karma

jcpouliot
Engager

We are struggling with this as well as we use deployment server to roll out an app containing inputs and outputs to about 140 domain controllers and we had classes with whitelists setup specifically so that we wouldn't push out a change globally all at once. Apparently Splunk developers didn't think there was a need for classes.

0 Karma

lmyrefelt
Builder

I want this back as well 🙂

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

there is a post from ekost stating that it appears to be a 'bug'.

0 Karma

ekost
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You're correct. I received confirmation that the splunk reload deploy-server -class is not supported in 6.0, and it is not a bug as it was 'removed'. There's been some Q&A with customers about the use-case and the functionality is being reviewed.

w531t4
Path Finder

any updates on this - This is necessary functionality! It's certainly not available in 6.1.2.

0 Karma

ogdin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Many apologies. We're working on putting the -class flag back in. Look for it in an upcoming maintenance release.

cramasta
Builder

"Anyone? Anyone?"

0 Karma

Lucas_K
Motivator

No official update on this?

features seem to have been removed without the documentation being updated to reflect it 😞

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...