Deployment Architecture

Remote access

tamtamnoob

Hi, i am new to splunk , so there is a few question i would like to ask. I got two computer A and B.
Computer A is install with splunk. How should i configure my computer so that i am able to access my splunk content(installed in computer A) using computer B remotely. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma

techieg

I had this issue and after creating an inbound rule to allow TCP port 8000 on the firewall on the system where Splunk is installed. For an "Enterprise" product, one would think simple check boxes will make this happen, same goes for issues everyone is having discovering and getting data from remote machines, even on a Windows AD domain controller. Not so "enterprise", if you ask me.

0 Karma

techieg

MuS, you may be right. I removed the allowRemoteLogin entry form server.conf and am still able to remotely access splunk web UI. I guess its simply having to allow inbound traffic to port 8000 (or whatever you may change it to in Splunk) in the firewall on the system hosting Splunk. I have updated my earlier how-to response.

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

usually this is the only thing that blocks login's to the UI...

0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think you messed some things up here: allowRemoteLogin only controls logins to the splunkd deamon not the Web UI and any needed firewall rule is purely OS related.

0 Karma

BobM
Builder

Splunk is accessed with a browser so any computer on your network should be able to connect to it provided you don't have firewalls blocking them. If you haven't made any changes, point your browser to port 8000 on the other computer.

http://computerA.mycompany.com:8000

Ayn
Legend

Same way you would access any other service on your network. How you would go about doing that varies wildly depending on your network setup. Again, this is not really a Splunk issue so you should post this question with details on your network setup in a forum that deals with this kind of issues.

tamtamnoob

So how can i access the splunk of computer A from computer B from different network? it seems that i can only access it under the same network

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Also allowRemoteLogin in server.conf has nothing to do with Splunk's web interface, it controls access to splunkd (which if you do not know what it is you likely don't need to at this time either).

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

This is starting to fall more under general networking queries than Splunk.

0 Karma

tamtamnoob

Hi , using server .conf and putting the allowRemoteLogin = Always. i can use computer B to access the splunk of computer A under the same network . Is it possible to access it with different network?

0 Karma

tamtamnoob
0 Karma

tamtamnoob

even i key in the ipadress 192.168.XX.XX:8000 on the broswer. the google prompt me Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.XX.XX:8000

0 Karma

BobM
Builder

If the network knows that computer by the name world then yes. Quite often a computer will use a name for itself that the network does not understand and this may be the case here. If this is on a private network you may have to use the ip address.

To find out the computers ip address open a cmd, dos or terminal window and run the command

ipconfig

You wil see a set of 4 numbers seperated by dot probably starting 192.168. Use this in place of the computer name.

0 Karma

tamtamnoob

Hi, for example, the broswer appear on computer A is world:8000. So at the computer B i should type
http://world:8000 ??

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...