Deployment Architecture

Multi-Site Search Head Clustering

jwalrath1
Explorer

I understand that there are 2 approved architectures for multi site search head clustering. One, where each site has their own independent search head clustering that has search affinity with index clusters, and a second option where there is a search head cluster stretched across the two sites.

For the first option where the search head clusters are independent to each site, I have read that search head clusters are not site-aware. Does this mean that things saved through the search head cluster on site 1 would not replicate to site 2? For example, if I were to create a new dashboard at site 1 on the web UI through the search head cluster, that would not replicate to site 2?

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are correct.  In the first architecture, the two SHCs are independent and unaware of each other.  Independent clusters do not share/replicate KOs  with/to each other.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

jwalrath1
Explorer

Thanks @richgalloway I have a second part to this question. Can I use the manager node to do a deployment to replicate configurations (dashboards and reports) saved on  site A to site B? Could this be done with the SHC deployer if I were to do a deployment on a weekly bases for example?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are correct.  In the first architecture, the two SHCs are independent and unaware of each other.  Independent clusters do not share/replicate KOs  with/to each other.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...