Deployment Architecture

Install splunk forwarder on Linux server

aalhabbash1
Path Finder

Hi splunker;

When I install splunk forwarder version 7.2.6 on redhat server version 7.4 successfully installed, but the home directory like /etc and /root change permission from root to splunk, and this is not normal behavior, can anyone help me why this is occurred?

Best Regards;

0 Karma

Anonymous
Not applicable

What user did the install?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@aalhabbash1,
Splunk does not change the ownership during installation. It's worth to check whether you have run a chown splunk:splunk after the installation and from which location the command was run. From what you have explained, it looks like the chown was run from / directory

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

Indeed. Sounds like a mistake was made during the installation steps (or a faulty install script was used). Any further info on exactly how you did the installation could help give a more concrete answer.

0 Karma

mattymo
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

also be aware of Splunk and systemd interactions:

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/Admin/RunSplunkassystemdservice

- MattyMo
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...