Deployment Architecture

How to verify whether configuration files are pushed correctly from the deployment server?

kteng2024
Path Finder

Hi there,

Can i please know how to check whether the configuration file is pushed correctly from the deployment server or not? For example , i have 100 Splunk instances where i used deployment server to push a configuration file to all these Splunk instances. But how can i check whether the configuration file is pushed correctly to all these 100 Splunk instances. Is there any Splunk search or scripts to check that?

Thanks

1 Solution

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can check on the deployment server and look at the Deployment Manager. You can check and see what hosts are getting what packages and the last time they checked in.

There are no scripts available that check this. It's assumed that once a host is connected to the deployment server, during its phone home interval it will check with the DS and either pull the latest apps, or not pull any apps because it has the current.

You could look through internal logs and see whats happening, but you wont see much in regards to actual files being distributed, just the checksum validation and deployment metrics.

View solution in original post

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can check on the deployment server and look at the Deployment Manager. You can check and see what hosts are getting what packages and the last time they checked in.

There are no scripts available that check this. It's assumed that once a host is connected to the deployment server, during its phone home interval it will check with the DS and either pull the latest apps, or not pull any apps because it has the current.

You could look through internal logs and see whats happening, but you wont see much in regards to actual files being distributed, just the checksum validation and deployment metrics.

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

-- It's assumed that once a host is connected to the deployment server, during its phone home interval it will check with the DS and either pull the latest apps,

Assumed by whom?

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The client, with the DS its connected to, and the DS by matching the host to its serverclasses and announcing the hashed values of the cumulative bundles.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

I see, so you are saying that a certain client can be down, and after it comes up, it would verify with the DS whether it's is up-to-date, right? interesting ...

0 Karma

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It phones home to the DS, and validates its bundles checksum with the DS. If it's the same, nothing is done. If it's not the same, it's assumed the DS is correct and it will download and apply the assigned apps from the DS.
One thing to consider is with the DS currently, it's all or nothing. There aren't sequential / diffs done in the validation process like the Deployer.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...