Deployment Architecture

How to get all inputs per server and then compare with current indexed data?

splunkreal
Motivator

Hello,
we would like to compare sources we ask to index and current state in Splunk (compare inputs.conf and current license usage) to see if we have missing data.

I found this https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/How-can-I-get-a-list-of-data-inputs-using-the-REST-A... to list all inputs however I would like also to get active associated target hosts (clients) found in serverclasses.

Thanks.

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Please give us more detail about your use case.  Finding missing data can be a challenge because Splunk can't tell you what it doesn't have.

What exactly are you looking for regarding "active associated target hosts (clients) found in serverclasses"?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

splunkreal
Motivator

Hi Rich,

for instance we have sources defined in inputs.conf, we can also see them in manager / data inputs / forwarded inputs / files & directory then we want to see if they are effectively indexed.

Thanks for your help!

* If this helps, please upvote or accept solution 🙂 *
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure there's a good solution for this problem for a number of reasons.

1. Search heads typically are not aware of all inputs since inputs.conf files can be distributed among forwarders of many classes, each with different inputs.
  2. Even knowing the inputs may not be enough.  One would have to figure out how to match an input of the form /var/log/.../*.log to the fully-qualified file path stored in the source field.
  3. Data present from a given source doesn't mean the data is present for *all* hosts reporting that source.

Check out the TrackMe app (https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/4621), which may address your problem.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...