Deployment Architecture

How to connect a cluster master node to a deployment server?

chawagon03
Path Finder

I'm trying to connect the cluster master node/deployer to my deployment server/license master instance. However, once I set deploy-poll to the deployment server, the deployment server is not seeing it. The CM node has no issues connecting to that server for license details, but absolutely nothing in terms of deployment stuff.

Anyone have any insight on this? Is it because it's using the same URI for license master or something?

0 Karma

muebel
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi chawagon, based on the log sample you provided, it looks like there is an issue with the CM being able to resolve it's hostname. Essentially, make sure that the entries in $SPLUNKHOME/etc/system/local/inputs.conf and server.conf are resolvable through DNS or /etc/hosts. Check out the answer here : https://answers.splunk.com/answers/312249/why-does-my-deployment-client-not-phone-home-with.html for more info, and let me know if that helps.

0 Karma

chawagon03
Path Finder

10-02-2015 20:47:56.984 +0000 INFO DS_DC_Common - Deployment Server|Client initialized successfully.

10-02-2015 20:47:56.984 +0000 INFO DS_DC_Common - Registered REST endpoint for 'broker'.
10-02-2015 20:47:56.979 +0000 INFO DS_DC_Common - Loading and initializing Deployment Server...

10-02-2015 20:47:56.979 +0000 INFO DS_DC_Common - Deployment Client not initialized

10-02-2015 20:47:56.979 +0000 WARN DC:DeploymentClient - Unable to resolve my hostname. DeploymentClient is disabled.
10-02-2015 20:47:56.969 +0000 INFO DS_DC_Common - Initializing core facilities of PubSub system.
10-02-2015 20:47:56.969 +0000 INFO DS_DC_Common - Initializing the PubSub system.

0 Karma

rphillips_splk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

what do you see in splunkd.log on the CM/deployer ? What does etc/system/local/deploymentclient.conf look like on the CM/deployer instance?

0 Karma

chawagon03
Path Finder

After more testing - this seems to be a 6.3 bug

This setup works completely fine with 6.2.5 using the same settings as my 6.3 environment is using. Not sure how to put in a ticket, but this needs to be looked at.

0 Karma

chawagon03
Path Finder

Just another bit of info - I also have 2 linux UF, 1 Solaris UF, and 1 Windows UF connected to it just fine.

also running version 6.3

0 Karma

chawagon03
Path Finder

splunk display deploy-client says enabled on CM/deployer

splunk display deploy-server says enabled on DS/LM

0 Karma

chawagon03
Path Finder

[deployment-client]
serverRepositoryLocationPolicy = rejectAlways
repositoryLocation = $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps

[target-broker:deploymentServer]
targetUri = x.x.x.x:8089

0 Karma

chawagon03
Path Finder
  • WARN DistributedPeerManagerHeartbeat - Unable to get server info from peer: http://x.x.x.x:8089 due to: Connection refused

This is the only thing I see that doesn't regard LM (license master) - this is a vm so there isn't a ton of activity going on

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...