Deployment Architecture

Event aggregation before Indexing

gooza
Communicator

Hi

we have many sources that sends us a lot of similar events (DNS for example)

a.host.com 1.1.1.1

a.host.com 1.1.1.1

a.host.com 1.1.1.1

Is there a way for me to aggregate the events to one single event and just add the count of events that happened (lets say in one minute) ? so I will only index:

a.host.com 1.1.1.1 count=3

Is it possible to do this in splunk ( maybe with regex in transforms)?

For now we are depended on 3rd party agents like arcsight in front of splunk to do the aggregation - I would really like to see this feature in splunk

Any ideas?

1 Solution

linu1988
Champion

No you will not be able to do that at all. One possibility is to use a powershell script and count the events and send using scripted input.

View solution in original post

DalJeanis
Legend

A) Create a preprocessor program in any language that will aggregate the data and create a single event.

B) Add the events to a temporary index that rolls off in a few hours or days, then create a summary index using that temporary index as input.

0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

No you will not be able to do that at all. One possibility is to use a powershell script and count the events and send using scripted input.

gooza
Communicator

will do , thanks MuS

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Hi gooza,

feel free to open an enhancement request on the support portal - this would be a P4 support case http://www.splunk.com/support .

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

gooza
Communicator

ok ,thanks for the replay, I hope splunk will add it in the future.

if anyone else need this feature please vote up this question so splunk can see the need.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Platform | Upgrading your Splunk Deployment to Python 3.9

Splunk initially announced the removal of Python 2 during the release of Splunk Enterprise 8.0.0, aiming to ...

From Product Design to User Insights: Boosting App Developer Identity on Splunkbase

co-authored by Yiyun Zhu & Dan Hosaka Engaging with the Community at .conf24 At .conf24, we revitalized the ...

Detect and Resolve Issues in a Kubernetes Environment

We’ve gone through common problems one can encounter in a Kubernetes environment, their impacts, and the ...