Deployment Architecture

Error while generating app-manifest file

adnankhan5133
Communicator
Has anyone encountered this error before while trying to create an app manifest ? This only happens for apps that do not have a version (i.e. some of the Splunk OOTB apps)

slim generate-manifest: [ERROR] The combination of group and name from the [id] stanza of app.conf (launcher) must equal the name of the app folder (.)
Basically, I'm running /opt/splunk/bin/slim generate-manifest . > app.manifest on /opt/splunk/etc/apps/launcher, and currently, my app.conf looks like this:

[install]
is_configured = true
allows_disable = false[ui]
label = Home
is_visible = true[package]
id = launcher[id]
version = 0.0.0
name = launcher
Is there something I'm missing here?

This is also happening with the following apps:
  • user-prefs
  • SplunkLightForwarder
  • SplunkForwarder
  • splunk_internal_metrics
  • legacy
  • learned
The only common theme between these app is that they do not actually have a version #. We are not seeing this issue with other Splunk apps that have versioning.

Basically, I'm trying to create an app-manifest since that is one of the prerequisites for packaging an app for an AppInspect scan since we are migrating a number of our Splunk apps to Splunk Cloud. Here are the steps: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.0.2006/DevApp/Deployingtheapp
I'm specifically referencing the "Generate the app manifest" section.

Now, if the apps that I listed above will end up getting shipped with our Splunk Cloud instance and won't require us to send them over to Splunk Cloud Services for vetting, then we'll proceed with excluding these from our Splunk Cloud migration package.  
Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Why are you trying to create a manifest for built-in apps? It's unnecessary. Since they come with Splunk they will be installed on Splunk Cloud automatically and require no vetting.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...