Deployment Architecture

Can i use deployement server also as Master node for Index clustering

adityapavan18
Contributor

Hi I have a setup of 2Search Heads + 1 SearchHead(also Used as Deploymnet Server) + 6 Indexes

As of now there is no replication of data.But now we want to implement index clustering with replication factor of 2 or more(still deciding) for data availabilty in case of indexer down.

I was wondering if i could convert the SearchHead/Deployment Server to act as MasterNode for clustering & Deployment Server.

Because we cannot afford to add one more server to stack and make it as master node for index clustering

0 Karma

MousumiChowdhur
Contributor

Hi!

Though not recommended but you can make your deployment server as master node for indexer clustering as long as you meet the minimum hardware configuration wherein the forwarder management will take care of the forwarders and the indexer clustering will manage the clustered indexers.

Thanks.

svasan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No, the recommended setup is for the master to be a separate instance. (The master node is the only one with the cluster-wide view of the system and is the node that initiates any corrective action; so while it is not as loaded as the indexers, it is still recommended that it being a separate splunk instance.)

See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0/Indexer/Keydifferences

svasan_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

This link does not exist for us folk yet.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...