Deployment Architecture

Can Splunk Deployment Server push out new admin passwords?

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I need to push out a new admin password to all of my remote Splunk instances/forwarders.

Can I use Splunk Deployment Manager to do this or do I need to use another tool?

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You would need another tool. To push out new Splunk passwords, would need to, on each node, either:

• execute the command ./splunk edit user myuserid -password mynewpassword. Deployment Server can not easily be used to execute commands.
  • replace the file etc/passwd, etc/auth/splunk.secret, and all other files that contain encrypts using etc/auth/splunk.secret which usually includes just etc/system/local/server.conf. These files much of course all match via splunk.secret. Deployment Server can not be effectively used to distribute these files.

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Puppet is perhaps a bit large for the word 'tool'. Like a software build engine, you kind of have to sink a certain amount of time into them to see big returns. http://www.puppetlabs.com/ cfengine is comparable. http://www.cfengine.org/

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

What is Puppet? Can someone provide a link if this is a recommended tool?

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

yes, puppet can work by pushing out copies of the above-named files to remote nodes, or by executing a command.

0 Karma

maverick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What about using something like Puppet? I imagine that should work.

Mick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No, deployment server only pushes out App configurations, nothing to do with users, passwords or Splunk version updates. You might want to file an Enhancement Request if this is something you foresee a need for though.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...