Deployment Architecture

Any Risk if increased/decreased index data size

ips_mandar
Builder

Hi,
I have created one index of size 500GB(maxTotalDataSizeMb) and also included frozen path where data will get stored after 500Gb data gets completed. Now I want to know below-
1. If I Increased size of that index to 1TB then is there any risk involved of data gets deleted?
2. After changing to 1TB If I consider to reduce data size to 800 Gb then remaining 200Gb data will go to frozen path? is there any risk involved/any precaution neeeds to be taken to avoid data loss?
3. If I want to move frozen bucket to be searchable then I copied particular frozen bucket to thawed path and then after data retention those buckets moved to frozen path then will I have duplicate buckets? so I need to move frozen bucket to thawed path instead of copying it?
thanks,

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
  1. Increasing the size of an index does not result in data getting deleted.
  2. Since you have a frozen path, data will not be deleted. It will be moved to the frozen directory.
  3. Thawed data is not managed by Splunk so it will not be re-frozen. It will not be replicated or duplicated. When the thawed data is not longer needed, it must be removed manually.
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...