Dashboards & Visualizations

extracting and creating dashboards

mammefen

how to combine the following fileds and create a statical value of succesfull and failed call of the particular api by client id?

sample splunk log event:

1.INFO 2019-07-16 16:39:34,938 AFTER: IP_address=/xxxxxxxxx API_name=AAAAAAAAA server ip=RRRRRRR trace_ID=d24eea70-a809-11e9-9eb4-005056906aa7 location=en_US {http.reason=Bad Request, http.status=400, Content-Type=application/json;charset=UTF-8}

2.INFO 2019-07-16 16:39:34,809 client_ID: KKKKKK API_name: AAAAAAAA

just i want to create a dashboard that will show the number of successfull and failed using the client_ID?

thanks,

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @mammefen,

Try something like this :

Index=yourIndex | stats last(status) as status last(clientID) as clientID by API_name

Let me know if that works out for you.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

mammefen

hi david,

thank you for your help
it worked in some extent but there are some null values of the client id for the corresponding status. I am thinking to join the events first and then do the stats. so, can you help on joining the two events?

Thanks,

mammefen

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Most welcome ! The search above does a join since it runs stats on a common field for both events.

Its faster than running a join command but if you would rather use that then it should look as follows :

Index=yourIndex event=firstEvent | join clientID [Index=yourIndex event=firstEvent]

You can find more info about the join command here :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.3.0/SearchReference/Join

0 Karma

mammefen

hi david,
i appreciate your help. the following is the sample table i got by using your method.
status---client_id
1. 200----kkkk----API_name
2. 400----empty
3. empty------kkk
4. 403--------kkk
5. emptyk---empty
i am getting this kind of table by using your query . i do not want to get the empty related with the value . how can i exclude from the table? btw all the api names are listed correctly.

than you

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@mammefen what is the correlation between events 1 and 2? How does client_ID in 2nd event correlate to event 1?

mammefen

the API name is the same for event1 AND 2 .

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

But API name will be same for multiple clients as well.

Thanks for the Memories! Splunk University, .conf24, and Community Connections

Thank you to everyone in the Splunk Community who joined us for .conf24 – starting with Splunk University and ...

.conf24 | Day 0

Hello Splunk Community! My name is Chris, and I'm based in Canberra, Australia's capital, and I travelled for ...

Enhance Security Visibility with Splunk Enterprise Security 7.1 through Threat ...

(view in My Videos)Struggling with alert fatigue, lack of context, and prioritization around security ...