<key name="destaddr" type="ipaddress"/>
   <value name="inBytes" type="integer" usage="count"/>
   <value name="outBytes" type="integer" usage="count"/>
</flowrecord>
1.2.3.4|2.3.4.5|100|34
2.3.4.5|4.5.6.7|20|12
8.9.1.1|4.3.2.1|123|1034
</xml>

We have a few things going on here. A multi-line header we want SHOULD_LINEMERGE=true and for the actual events, we want SHOULD_LINEMERGE=false.

These are all sourcetype'd as netflow and i've had several unsuccessful attempts at getting Splunk to process these the way i'd like.

What's the best way to configure Splunk to have the XML as a single multi-line event, and the events broken up?

I'd obviously like to process the actual events which is fairly easy with DELIMS/FIELDS in props.conf/transforms.conf but dealing with this XML header has thrown a curve-ball into what should be fairly easy.

Would appreciate any thoughts..

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use transforms.conf and nullQueue the lines that start with <. This will save space within your license, as well as remove all XML tags. Set your linebreaking back to default, and they should just index as individual lines.

props.conf
[netflow]
TRANSFORMS-null = nullQueueNetFlow

transforms.conf
[nullQueueNetFlow]
REGEX = (?m)^\s*<
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

View solution in original post

alacercogitatus
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could use transforms.conf and nullQueue the lines that start with <. This will save space within your license, as well as remove all XML tags. Set your linebreaking back to default, and they should just index as individual lines.

props.conf
[netflow]
TRANSFORMS-null = nullQueueNetFlow

transforms.conf
[nullQueueNetFlow]
REGEX = (?m)^\s*<
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...