Dashboards & Visualizations

Timechart reporting zeros in counts

Mindy_McTiernan
Explorer

I am trying to use the following search to make a timechart on security incident sources, but Splunk is reporting zeros for all the counts which I can confirm is NOT accurate at all. I think the issue is because I need to use a different time field for the timeline. Can someone assist me in making this chart work?

index=sir sourcetype=sir 
| rex field=dv_affected_user "(?<user>[[:alnum:]]{5})\)"
| rex mode=sed field=opened_at "s/\.0+$//"
| rex mode=sed field=closed_at "s/\.0+$//"
| rename opened_at AS Opened_At, closed_at AS "Closed At", number AS "SIR Number", dv_assignment_group AS "Assignment Group", dv_state AS State, short_description AS "Short Description", close_notes AS "Closed Notes", dv_u_organizational_action AS "Org Action", u_concern AS Concern, dv_u_activity_type AS "Activity Type", dv_assigned_to AS "Assigned To"
| eval _time=Opened_At
| eval Source=coalesce(dv_u_specific_source, dv_u_security_source)
| fillnull value=NULL Source
| table Source, _time, "SIR Number"
| timechart span=1mon count usenull=f by Source

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Mindy_McTiernan
Explorer

Thank you for sharing that link @burwell ! It was hugely helpful. What finally ended up working was the following: The additional where line was key. Thank you for helping me work through this!

| eval _time = strptime(Opened_At,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") 
| sort -_time
| addinfo
| where _time>=info_min_time AND (_time<=info_max_time OR info_max_time="+Infinity")

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Mindy_McTiernan
Explorer

I should add that the format of the Opened_At field is '2023-02-03 15:39:44'

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here's the answer https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/how-to-use-a-field-as-timestamp-for-a-timechart/m-p/14...

Use strptime to format your field Opened_At and create a unixtimestamp

Then assign that to _time

Mindy_McTiernan
Explorer

This allows me to create a timechart, but the time picker isn't connecting to it. So if I ask for a 90 day timechart I get all records for the last year vs just the last 90 days worth of data. Is there a fix for that @burwell ?

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Does adding | addinfo help you @Mindy_McTiernan 

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/blog/tips-and-tricks/i-cant-make-my-time-range-picker-pick.html

| eval unixtime_Opened_At
| eval _time=unixtime_Opened_At
| addinfo
| timechart ...

Mindy_McTiernan
Explorer

Thank you for sharing that link @burwell ! It was hugely helpful. What finally ended up working was the following: The additional where line was key. Thank you for helping me work through this!

| eval _time = strptime(Opened_At,"%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S") 
| sort -_time
| addinfo
| where _time>=info_min_time AND (_time<=info_max_time OR info_max_time="+Infinity")

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...