Dashboards & Visualizations

Replacing $var$ with var

nightflame
Explorer

The `notable` macro returns a field drilldown_search with the variables $user$ and $dest" embedded in it.

I would like to make use of this elsewhere and replace $user$ and $dest$ will the values of those fields respectively.

Is there a simple way in SPL to tell Splunk to substitute $var$ for var?

The best I have come up with is:

`notable`
| eval drilldown_search = if(like(drilldown_search,"%$user$%"), replace(drilldown_search,"\$user\$", user), drilldown_search)
| eval drilldown_search = if(like(drilldown_search,"%$dest$%"), replace(drilldown_search,"\$dest\$", dest), drilldown_search)

This seems a bit convoluted and I need a statement for each $var$.

Also I found if I do not use the if(like(... then replace returns drilldown_search as null if it does not match.

Is there a better way of doing this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

koshyk
Super Champion

Have a try

`notable`
| stats count by drilldown_search,dest,src,user
| foreach * [eval drilldown_search=replace(drilldown_search,"\$<<FIELD>>\$", <<FIELD>>)]

The important thing to note here is, stats count statement will ensure the fields that have values only will come out. If you need to accommodate null values, you may need to fiddle but the logic should work.

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@nightflame, can you share some of the outputs of macro notable with few drilldown_search field values. Can it return only $user$ or $dest$ or both?

Besides the $user$ and/or $dest$ values being returned for field drilldown_search, is the macro also returning user and dest fields? What are some of these fields values? Will it be possible for you to share macro code?

koshyk
Super Champion

Have a try

`notable`
| foreach * [eval drilldown_search=replace(drilldown_search,"\$<<FIELD>>\$", <<FIELD>>)]

The important thing to note here is, stats count statement will ensure the fields that have values only will come out. If you need to accommodate null values, you may need to fiddle but the logic should work.

nightflame
Explorer

Is that you Kiran? 🙂

This works a treat.

No not all the fields will exist. I just need to add this in front:

notable
| eval user= if(isnull(user),"",user )
| eval dest= if(isnull(dest),"",dest )
| eval src= if(isnull(src),"",src )
| foreach * [eval drilldown_search=replace(drilldown_search,"\$<>\$", <>)]

Shame I cannot condense the '| eval user= if(isnull(user),"",user )' etc into one statement where I do not need to know the names of $var$.

Thanks.

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

If you want to get rid of all instances of the $ character in your drilldown_search field, then rex should work:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/6.6.3/SearchReference/Rex

| rex field=drilldown_search mode=sed "s/\$//g"

0 Karma

nightflame
Explorer

That's not quite what I wanted. I want to replace $var$ the value of var, not "var" string. Note the lack of quotes around user in my replace example.

So for example I have a field user="fred"

Then I want to resolve $user$ to "fred", not "user"

Hope that makes sense.

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

Ah, it does. I misread, sorry. In that case, the answer by @koshyk should do the trick.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...