Dashboards & Visualizations

Is it possible to implement a pulldown switcher in Simplified XML?

monicato
Path Finder

Hi all!

I want to create a pulldown switcher in one of my charts in my view. Is it possible to implement this is XML? If so, could someone help point me in the right direction? ;_; I have already seen the UI example app, but I can't figure out how it works

what I mean by "in one of my charts in my view", is it modifies the chart similar to the chart in the photo below:

alt text

~Thanks in advance!

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Well, maybe this answer is too simple, but here goes.

First, as ChrisG correctly stated, the Simplified XML is unable to do this. even in principle I'm not sure how that XML format could sensibly encompass the functionality of switchers. So you're stick with the Simplified XML.

Answer: It might not say this in the UI Examples app, but any example that shows a LinkSwitcher, you can easily substitute a PulldownSwitcher or TabSwitcher. Depending on which way you're going you might have to add or remove a "label" param, because some Switcher classes have labels and some dont. However other than that the param space is the same.
Short Version: just swap out the LinkSwitcher in the example XML, for PulldownSwitcher. You might have to add a 'label' param but that's it.

Bonus: If you're already using Sideview Utils 2.0.X you probably want to look at using the Switcher module instead. This little module allows you to outsource the 'switching', and then handle the UI-presentation part with the Pulldown module or the Tabs module. It's a better model in that it's both simpler and more powerful. As always docs about the module are included in Sideview Utils itself. And Note that Switcher is a 2.0 only module. You won't find it in Sideview Utils 1.3.X

http://sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is a topic on creating a dynamic form search using drop-downs in the Developing Dashboards, Views, and Apps for Splunk Web manual. Not quite sure what you mean when you say you want to have a drop-down "in one of your charts."

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for the extra info. I don't think there is any way to do this in Simple XML in the current version of Splunk (4.3.x). There will be enhancements to Simple XML in future releases that do enable dynamic drilldown in dashboards and forms.

monicato
Path Finder

I want something similar to the photo I posted above... Something that will modify my chart when changed. And I know it can be done in Advance XML, but is there something like this for Simplified XML?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...