Dashboards & Visualizations
Highlighted

How to implement a cluster map based on telephone dialing codes?

Explorer

Hi Team,

We are trying to implement cluster map based on telephone dialing codes. need your help in implementing.
How to create maps and how to map the volume against the corresponding area and how to show the volume numbers in the corresponding area in the graph?

Your help is appreciated.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: How to implement a cluster map based on telephone dialing codes?

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What have you tried so far?

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

I am not sure where to start. All i have is telephone area codes. Do i need to have a lookup created with telephone area codes with latitude and longitude? To proceed further?

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you will need a means to convert area codes into coordinates. A lookup table should work well. Depending on your data, you would then use the geom or geostats command to plot it on a map.

---
If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

Thank you for your quick response. I will try and get back to you.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Legend

@klchandrakanth, is this dialing code lookup required only for US or anywhere in World?

| eval message="Happy Splunking!!!"

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

This is for area lookup in Brazil

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

I have created a sample lookup table with telephone area code, state,lat and long.
with below command i am able to see the coordinates.

| inputlookup DDDLookupSample.csv | geostats count by DDD_Code latfield=Latitude longfield=Longitude

However, not able to map my query result to the map. Any help is appreciated.
my base query that is giving the count of the area codes with below.

source="log-ura" | eval PhoneDDD = substr(PhNumber,1,2) | stats count by PhoneDDD

PhoneDDD count
11 6860
12 216
13 98
15 446

My CSV is like this.

DDD_Code States Latitude Longitude
11 Sao Paulo -23.65283405 -46.52781661
68 Acre -9.070003236 -68.66997929
82 Alagoas -9.48000405 -35.83996769
96 Amapa -0.039598369 -51.17998743
92 Amazonas -3.289580873 -60.6199797

0 Karma
Highlighted

Explorer

@niketnilay or @richgalloway, any help ?

0 Karma
Highlighted

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For US and for Canada, it looks like there are ESRI files (or similar) available for that from at least a couple of places.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisdesktop/9.2/index.cfm?TopicName=United_States_Telephone_Area_Code_Boun...

You may have another issue, though. Area codes are no longer geographically distinct; most of them in the most populous locations are overlays, so you may have three different area codes that represent identical geography. You need to identify what the purpose of your map is before you decide on representation.

I suspect that you probably should go with plotting all overlays to the exact same coordinates, and aggregating the results as a single pie chart. Presumably, if you are presenting a geographical representation, then you are trying to see where your calls are coming from.

Check your underlying data and see if your assumptions are correct or if there is a more specific field, though. I make calls from my Dallas 469 number while I am on site in Florida or Kansas or San Jose.

0 Karma