Dashboards & Visualizations

How to get the runtime of a dashboard?

whrg
Motivator

Hello,

I want to find out which dashboards take a long time to load. So I would like to have a table which shows the runtimes/searchtimes for all dashboards being opened by any user.

It should look something like this:

time                  dashboard          user    runtime (in seconds)
2020-05-22 10:02:00   sample_dashboard   admin   15
2020-05-22 10:01:00   sample_dashboard   admin   20
2020-05-22 10:00:00   sample_dashboard2  user    5

I found two answers from 2016 and 2017 which do not work. (The first one returns empty and the second one lists searches instead of dashboards.)
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/425215/how-can-i-measure-the-dashboard-load-time.html
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/488539/how-to-write-a-search-to-find-out-the-average-dash.html

Can anybody help?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

whrg
Motivator

To answer my own question, I found that the REST endpoint /services/search/jobs contains a lot of useful information.

Searching for rest /services/search/jobs will list all past Splunk searches (similar to the Activity/Jobs view). I found that a search from a dasboard will have the "provenance" field like this: UI:Dashboard:sample_simple_dashboard. So I can extract the name of a dashboard for all dashboard searches.

One difficulty in determining the runtime of a dashboard is that there is no clear endtime. A user can select various inputs and time windows on a dashboard which will continuously trigger new searches.

Luckely, there is the "published" field which tells when a search was triggered. So I can group together dashboard searches based on the "published" field.

This is the search i created:

| rest /services/search/jobs
| rename dispatchState as Status eai:acl.app as App title as Search author as User runDuration as Runtime published as Published id as ID provenance as Provenance
| rex field=Provenance "UI:Dashboard:(?<Dashboard>.+)" | search Dashboard=*
| rex field=ID "(?<JobId>[^//]*)$"
| table App,Dashboard,User,Published,Runtime,Status
| stats sum(Runtime) as Runtime count as searches values(Status) as Status by App,Dashboard,User,Published
| eval Status=mvjoin(mvsort(mvdedup(split(mvjoin(Status,","),","))),",")
| eval Runtime=round(Runtime,1)
| sort 0 -Published

alt text

View solution in original post

whrg
Motivator

To answer my own question, I found that the REST endpoint /services/search/jobs contains a lot of useful information.

Searching for rest /services/search/jobs will list all past Splunk searches (similar to the Activity/Jobs view). I found that a search from a dasboard will have the "provenance" field like this: UI:Dashboard:sample_simple_dashboard. So I can extract the name of a dashboard for all dashboard searches.

One difficulty in determining the runtime of a dashboard is that there is no clear endtime. A user can select various inputs and time windows on a dashboard which will continuously trigger new searches.

Luckely, there is the "published" field which tells when a search was triggered. So I can group together dashboard searches based on the "published" field.

This is the search i created:

| rest /services/search/jobs
| rename dispatchState as Status eai:acl.app as App title as Search author as User runDuration as Runtime published as Published id as ID provenance as Provenance
| rex field=Provenance "UI:Dashboard:(?<Dashboard>.+)" | search Dashboard=*
| rex field=ID "(?<JobId>[^//]*)$"
| table App,Dashboard,User,Published,Runtime,Status
| stats sum(Runtime) as Runtime count as searches values(Status) as Status by App,Dashboard,User,Published
| eval Status=mvjoin(mvsort(mvdedup(split(mvjoin(Status,","),","))),",")
| eval Runtime=round(Runtime,1)
| sort 0 -Published

alt text

lloydknight
Builder

To add, I'm not sure if there's a significant difference if you'll not use the runtime of the searches itself.

Check this out also:
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/235005/including-search-run-time-in-search-results.html

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Those two answers were created using older versions of Splunk and no doubt will require tweaking to work with your version.
Dashboards are just collections of searches so having a list of searches is not all bad.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...