Dashboards & Visualizations

How to edit my dashboard to validate two input fields?

cmadish

I have a simple dashboard that has two input fields and a submit button and I would like to validate the fields.

If the user does not enter a value for the testName field, I would like to perform the search with a wildcard, i.e. *. If they do enter a value, I will use that input in my search.

I have tried various versions of the below code, but haven’t had any luck. I’m sure this type of form validation is simple, but since I’m relatively new to Splunk I can’t get it quite right.

<form>
  <label>Sent to External System</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="true">
    <input type="text" token="id">
      <label>ID</label>
    </input>
    <input type="text" token="testName">
      <label>Test Name</label>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <event>
        <search>
          <query>sourcetype=myLog* CFE_LogComponent=Sent payload NOT "sched" "*$id$*" eval testName = if(isNull(testName) OR testName="", "*", testName)</query>
          <earliest>@mon</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
      </event>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>
0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

As far as I know, you can't do what you want without Javascript.

Splunk doesn't give you the ability to validate/manipulate the intermediate token values in XML, i.e., the token value for $testName$ is going to be undefined unless it has something in the input box.

In Javascript, there a variety of ways to go about validating inputs and/or using things like TokenForwarders where you can set a default value when the input form is empty or has invalid values, but you must use Javascript.

sundareshr
Legend

You may be able to get the desired result by setting a default for your textinput. Like this

<fieldset submitButton="true">
     <input type="text" token="id">
       <label>ID</label>
      <default>*</default>
     </input>
     <input type="text" token="testName">
       <label>Test Name</label>
      <default>*</default>
     </input>
   </fieldset>

And change your query to

<query>sourcetype=myLog* CFE_LogComponent=Sent payload NOT "sched" "*$id$*" testName="$testName$"</query>
0 Karma

cmadish

I considered that but I really didn't want my users to see "*" in the field because I was concerned it might confuse them. I could set the default value to " ", but even that feels a little hacky to me. This type of validation is common with forms and if for nothing more than academic reasons I'd like to know what I'm missing.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

In your original query, you cannot add eval in the base search. So you could try like this

sourcetype=myLog* CFE_LogComponent=Sent payload NOT "sched" "*$id$*" | eval testName = if(isNull(testName) OR testName="", "*", testName) | search testName
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...