Dashboards & Visualizations

How to edit my dashboard to validate two input fields?

cmadish

I have a simple dashboard that has two input fields and a submit button and I would like to validate the fields.

If the user does not enter a value for the testName field, I would like to perform the search with a wildcard, i.e. *. If they do enter a value, I will use that input in my search.

I have tried various versions of the below code, but haven’t had any luck. I’m sure this type of form validation is simple, but since I’m relatively new to Splunk I can’t get it quite right.

<form>
  <label>Sent to External System</label>
  <fieldset submitButton="true">
    <input type="text" token="id">
      <label>ID</label>
    </input>
    <input type="text" token="testName">
      <label>Test Name</label>
    </input>
  </fieldset>
  <row>
    <panel>
      <event>
        <search>
          <query>sourcetype=myLog* CFE_LogComponent=Sent payload NOT "sched" "*$id$*" eval testName = if(isNull(testName) OR testName="", "*", testName)</query>
          <earliest>@mon</earliest>
          <latest>now</latest>
        </search>
      </event>
    </panel>
  </row>
</form>
0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

As far as I know, you can't do what you want without Javascript.

Splunk doesn't give you the ability to validate/manipulate the intermediate token values in XML, i.e., the token value for $testName$ is going to be undefined unless it has something in the input box.

In Javascript, there a variety of ways to go about validating inputs and/or using things like TokenForwarders where you can set a default value when the input form is empty or has invalid values, but you must use Javascript.

sundareshr
Legend

You may be able to get the desired result by setting a default for your textinput. Like this

<fieldset submitButton="true">
     <input type="text" token="id">
       <label>ID</label>
      <default>*</default>
     </input>
     <input type="text" token="testName">
       <label>Test Name</label>
      <default>*</default>
     </input>
   </fieldset>

And change your query to

<query>sourcetype=myLog* CFE_LogComponent=Sent payload NOT "sched" "*$id$*" testName="$testName$"</query>
0 Karma

cmadish

I considered that but I really didn't want my users to see "*" in the field because I was concerned it might confuse them. I could set the default value to " ", but even that feels a little hacky to me. This type of validation is common with forms and if for nothing more than academic reasons I'd like to know what I'm missing.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

In your original query, you cannot add eval in the base search. So you could try like this

sourcetype=myLog* CFE_LogComponent=Sent payload NOT "sched" "*$id$*" | eval testName = if(isNull(testName) OR testName="", "*", testName) | search testName
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...