Dashboards & Visualizations

How to edit my XML so clicking on a radio button automatically populates drop-down values while not retaining the previous value in the drop-down?

rupandit18
Engager

I am working on a use case where I have 3 radio buttons ( say 2001, 2002 and Today) and one drop-down. Clicking on the 2002 radio button should display all the movie releases occurred in that year ( let's say MovieA , MovieB , MovieC ). Now, in the drop-down, select MovieB so now drop-down displays MovieB. Now, click on other radio button, let's say, 2001. So at this time, the drop-down should populate all the releases that occurred in the year 2001, and it should not retain the previously selected value in the drop-down which in this case would be MovieB. I am fine with having one default value ( which would show up in the drop-down, something like "Please select Value", and when clicking on the drop-down arrow, you can see all movies of that year ) for all radio buttons as long as it does NOT retain the previously selected value in the drop-down.

My code is attached below.

< fieldset submitButton="false">
    < input type="radio" token="event_date_type2" searchWhenChanged="true">
      < default>Today < /default>
      < earliest>-24h< /earliest>
      < latest>now< /latest>
      < populatingSearch fieldForValue="event_date_type2" fieldForLabel="event_date_type2">
        < ![CDATA[| inputlookup file.csv | FIELDS event_date_type2 |
        eval event_date_type2 = substr(event_date_type2,0,4) | dedup
        event_date_type2
        |where event_date_type2!=0 | append [ inputlookup
        Events_Lookup_20141001.csv |stats count |eval event_date_type2="Today"
        | FIELDS event_date_type2] ]]>
      < /populatingSearch >
    < /input>
    < input type="dropdown" token="field2" searchWhenChanged="false">
      < label>Select a Date</label>
      < search>
        < query>|inputlookup Events_Lookup_20141001.csv  | where like(event_date,"%$event_date_type2$%")  | append [ inputlookup Events_Lookup_20141001.csv |stats count |eval event_date_type2="%$event_date_type2$%" | eval title="Today"| eval latest_timestamp =strftime(now(),"%s")       | eval earliest_timestamp = now()-86400 ] | where like(title, "%$event_date_type2$%")
     < /query>
      < /search>
     < fieldForLabel>title< /fieldForLabel>
      < fieldForValue>title< /fieldForValue>
      < default>Please select Value < /default> // This is default value to be shown un in dropdown as soon as radio button pressed.     
      < change>
        < set token="field2.earliest">$row.earliest_timestamp$< /set>
         < set token="field2.latest">$row.latest_timestamp$< /set>
      < /change>

Truly appreciate your help on this fix. Please let me know what am I missing here.

Thank you.

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure this can be done without Javascript.

In Javascript, you can simply listen to a change of the radio buttons and in that case set the selection of the dropdown to the standard selection. If you are interested, you might want to have a look here and here.

By the way, if you're looking for a way to "clear" the dropdown, you should put something like "Any" as label and use * as value; in most search scenarios, this should have the effect of "nothing selected" on a search (i.e. index = foo movie_title=$dropdown$ with $dropdown$ replaced by * does not filter anything besides events whithout the field movie_title). That way, the user doesn't even have to select something from the dropdown in order to see results.

0 Karma

rupandit18
Engager

Thank you for your response. Yes, I did try that too but did not see expected experience. However, was able to handle this through XML itself. No need of JS.

0 Karma

erritesh17
Path Finder

I am facing the same issue .........can you share the answer..........?

0 Karma

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Good - then you could consider sharing your solution for others to see 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...