Dashboards & Visualizations

How to center the title of a panel and color the title background?

HeinzWaescher
Motivator

Hi,

I've seen panels like this in a video.
alt text

How can I center the panel title and color the background of the title?

Thanks in advance

0 Karma
1 Solution

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think it's much easier to apply simple CSS to your dashboard. On your splunk server, navigate to %SPLUNK_HOME/apps/your_app/appserver/static (create folder if necessary) and place a file there, e.g. my_stylesheet.css, giving it this content:

.dashboard-header > h2:nth-child(2) { text-align: center; }

Restart splunk, and edit the xml of your dashboard from

<form>
  <fieldset ...>

or

<dashboard>
  <row>...

to

<form stylesheet="my_stylesheet.css">
  <fieldset ...>

or

<dashboard stylesheet="my_stylesheet.css">
  <row>...

Reload the page without browser cache (CTRL-SHIFT-R in Firefox or CTRL-F5 in Chrome, other combos might work as well) and you're good to go.

If you want to change different texts on the page (this example changes the dashboard title), simply right-click them and select "Inspect Element" in Firefox or "Inspect" in Chrome, and in the Inspector select "Copy unique selector" in FF or "Copy > Copy Selector" in Chrome. Then, paste your clipboad content instead of .dashboard-header > h2:nth-child(2) and that's it.

Oh and about the background color: change

to

.dashboard-header > h2:nth-child(2) {
    text-align: center;
    background-color: aliceblue;
}

and adjust the color to your liking 🙂

View solution in original post

jeffland
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think it's much easier to apply simple CSS to your dashboard. On your splunk server, navigate to %SPLUNK_HOME/apps/your_app/appserver/static (create folder if necessary) and place a file there, e.g. my_stylesheet.css, giving it this content:

Restart splunk, and edit the xml of your dashboard from

<form>
  <fieldset ...>

or

<dashboard>
  <row>...

to

<form stylesheet="my_stylesheet.css">
  <fieldset ...>

or

<dashboard stylesheet="my_stylesheet.css">
  <row>...

Reload the page without browser cache (CTRL-SHIFT-R in Firefox or CTRL-F5 in Chrome, other combos might work as well) and you're good to go.

If you want to change different texts on the page (this example changes the dashboard title), simply right-click them and select "Inspect Element" in Firefox or "Inspect" in Chrome, and in the Inspector select "Copy unique selector" in FF or "Copy > Copy Selector" in Chrome. Then, paste your clipboad content instead of .dashboard-header > h2:nth-child(2) and that's it.

Oh and about the background color: change

to

.dashboard-header > h2:nth-child(2) {
    text-align: center;
    background-color: aliceblue;
}

and adjust the color to your liking 🙂

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You should be able to use the HTML visualization on simple xml to create you own Panel title and customize it.

See an example here
https://answers.splunk.com/answers/150086/how-to-center-title-of-a-panel-in-xml.html

Splunk doc for the same
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML#html

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...