Dashboards & Visualizations

Getting error: "Dag Execution Exception: Search has been cancelled. Search auto-canceled".

erez10121012
Path Finder

Hi,

Every few minutes the dashboard shows me this error:

Dag Execution Exception: Search has been cancelled. Search auto-canceled.

I tried to change the dispatch.auto_cancel = 0, but the error returned.

Please help me find the solution for this error.

If it helps, this search is 30 seconds real time, and 1 min refresh.

Thanks.

splunk error.JPG

Labels (1)
Tags (1)

wyomoose
Engager

Splunk now lists this as a known issue and offers a solution. Have not implemented it yet so can't vouch that it works.  We have the had the same issue for awhile. 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.4/ReleaseNotes/KnownIssues

0 Karma

erez10121012
Path Finder

i Understand that the problem is in the realtime search.

i change one of the dashboard gauge to 2 sec (not realtime) and the Execution  not shown on it.

but steel realtime is problem.

thanks

Capture.JPG

Tags (1)

salbro
Path Finder

This also seems to be an issue with regular searches as well.

I have a search that looks at firewall data and gives me the top 10 source IP addresses. I converted it to a report on a dashboard that I leave up all day. All reports on the dashboard (9) are set to refresh every 5 minutes.

At least once a day, the same report gets the DAG execution failure. If I refresh the report, it doesnt load. I have to reload the page in order for it to resolve itself. None of the other reports on the dashboard do this.

marceloalejandr
Path Finder

salbro, 

did you ever get resolution to the "DAG Execution Exception..." error?

thanks in advance. 

0 Karma

erez10121012
Path Finder

No

just auto refresh the web page

0 Karma

salbro
Path Finder

No, I still get this daily on at least one panel of my dashboard. It occurs maybe 2-3 times a day, but usually the first time is after 4 hours.

The query is for 15 minutes worth of firewall data, looks at IP location, filters against a manual blacklist of IP addresses kept in a CSV, and shows the top 10 external hosts. There is a refresh of 15 minutes on the search.

If I see the DAG failure message. I stop the panel and refresh the dashboard.

0 Karma

twollenslegel_s
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This is sort of a known issue. What likely happened is you started a search, then changed tabs within a browser. . If you are getting this message, it is best to stay in the same tab and let the page load fully. This should help you a bit. 

Tags (1)

salbro
Path Finder

This will help some, but ultimately I believe it will remain an issue. I have 3 monitors and use one as a dedicated Splunk dashboard screen. The panels auto-refresh every 5-15 minutes, and I don't maintain focus on the dashboard so I can work on other things.

I will say that after converting this over into Dashboard Studio (absolute mode), this hasn't happened once.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...