Dashboards & Visualizations

Fetch external JSON for dashboard

robingg

To make things easier, I'd like to include a REST JSON from an external tools of ours in one of our Splunk dashboards.

I looked a bit at the REST API Modular Input add-on, but the data I want to present might change over time.

Any other interesting ways to solve a thing like that?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

Sfry1981
Communicator

This will depend on what tool you are using to import the JSON data. Probably one of the easiest ways is to create a new index for this JSON data to be imported into via HEC and then run that query into the dashboard. Set your external tool to run the collection automatically for whatever time you need it. If you need the data to override the previous data thats imported then you can set this via a outputlookup.

Let me know if this helps or if you want more of a structure around this?

0 Karma

robingg

Ok, let me see if I can get the data imported to start with. But if I understand you correct, I can import the same data on several times, and then sort this when I query for the data?

0 Karma

Sfry1981
Communicator

exactly. What external tool are you using?

0 Karma

robingg

Ok, I have added a new index and manually uploaded data extracted from two months. For the fun of it, I uploaded some random entries twice, to simulate the duplication.

Could it be as easy as I use dedup in the search query, and that's enough?

0 Karma

Sfry1981
Communicator

essentially you know have the data in a new index and should work like the others apart from the _time field as this will only show the time you uploaded the data so I presume you have a date field as part of this data set.

Are you going to be looking to have a recurring data upload to this index and overriding the data each time?

0 Karma

robingg

Yes, the data itself contains other date fields.

We're planning on importing this on a monthly basis. There might be a few cases where the same entry comes in different monthly reports with slightly different data, but those are most likely less than 1% of the entries.

It's always the latest entry that is the correct one.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...