Dashboards & Visualizations

Extracting JSON/XML from string entry and dispalying in table

amith7

I am trying to extract various fields from below entry in splunk.
I executed the below splunk query :
index=test_index source="testlogs.log" "InteractionId=test_interaction_id1" | search("||url") | table service,operation,status,status_code,exception,duration,url,request, response
The below is splunk log entry:
2019-02-28 22:21:34.248 [UUID=d791aecb-c320-453a-9207-bf96e01beaaf|InteractionId=test_interaction_id1] INFO com.test.MyLogger - service="TestService"||operation="testOperation"||url="http://localhost:8080/testservice/v4/testOperation"||request="{\"customer\":{\"id\":\"80\",\"name\":...".
request and response fields which are XML or JSON are not displayed properly in the table.
JSON is dispalyed as {\

I would like to have the complete JSON and XML in the table.

Thanks in Advance!

0 Karma

efavreau
Motivator

@amith7 What does the raw event look like? Your code post isn't clear. To be clear, please edit your question, highlighting the event and then using the code tool button. That's the button that looks like the 101010.
Without more information, the JSON doesn't look standard. I would use the rex (short for regular expression) command to slice out exactly what you want into a new field.
Here's the documentation for the rex command: https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.4/SearchReference/Rex

###

If this reply helps you, an upvote would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What do you mean by "request and response fields which are XML or JSON are not displayed properly in the table"? They will not be pretty-printed, if that's what you mean.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

amith7

index=test_index source="testlogs.log" "InteractionId=test_interaction_id1" | search("||url") | table service,operation,status,status_code,exception,duration,url,request, response

2019-02-28 22:21:34.248 [UUID=d791aecb-c320-453a-9207-bf96e01beaaf|InteractionId=test_interaction_id1] INFO com.test.MyLogger - service="TestService"||operation="testOperation"||url="http://localhost:8080/testservice/v4/testOperation"||request="{\"customer\":{\"id\":\"80\",\"name\":..."

request and response fields which are XML or JSON are not displayed properly in the table.
JSON is dispalyed as {\

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You've just re-posted the original question twice without fixing the error, improving the formatting, or adding clarifying information. Help us help you!

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Can you repost using the code tool 101010 ?
It looks like some of your content has been stripped from the question (probably because it looked like XML/HTML)

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

amith7

2019-02-28 22:21:34.248 [UUID=d791aecb-c320-453a-9207-bf96e01beaaf|InteractionId=test_interaction_id1] INFO com.test.MyLogger - service="TestService"||operation="testOperation"||url="http://localhost:8080/testservice/v4/testOperation"||request="{\"customer\":{\"id\":\"80\",\"name\":..."

JSON is dispalyed as {\

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...