Dashboards & Visualizations

Data visualization over the day (by hours)

sweiland
Path Finder

Hi there,

I know it sound pretty easy, but I am stuck with a dashboard which splits the events by hours of the day, to see for example the amount of events on every hours (from 00h to 23h)

My request is like that:

index=_internal | convert timeformat="%H" ctime(_time) AS Hour | stats count by Hour | sort Hour | rename count as "SENT"

Only problem with the request is that I am missing zero entries in the histogram, and I wanted to have always the 24 hours displayed (even with zero results).

Any way to do this ?

Hope it will help others

0 Karma
1 Solution

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @sweiland ,

The timechart as recommended by @gcusello helps to create a row for each hour of the day. It will add a row even if there are no values for an hour.

In addition, this will split/sumup by Hour, does not matter how many days the search timeframe is:

index=_internal 
| timechart span=1h count
| eval Hour = strftime(_time,"%H") 
| chart sum(count) as count by Hour

Hope it helps,
BR
Ralph
--
Karma and/or Solution tagging appreciated.

--

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
Esteemed Legend

Hi @sweiland,

did you explored the timechart command (https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/SearchReference/Timechart)?

You could try something like this:

index=_internal 
| timechart span=1h count AS "SENT"

Ciao.

Giuseppe

sweiland
Path Finder

Idea is to have the timespan 1h but only for one day

Example:

Data from 1 complete month, but splitted for every hour (the timechart is not a "group by hours")

0 Karma

gcusello
Esteemed Legend

Hi @sweiland,

if you want the span of 1 hour for the full month, timechart span=1h is correct

if instead you want two  different spans,it isn't possible in one panel.

you could have two panels: one for the last day (with span=1h) and one for the full month (span=1d),

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

rnowitzki
Builder

Hi @sweiland ,

The timechart as recommended by @gcusello helps to create a row for each hour of the day. It will add a row even if there are no values for an hour.

In addition, this will split/sumup by Hour, does not matter how many days the search timeframe is:

index=_internal 
| timechart span=1h count
| eval Hour = strftime(_time,"%H") 
| chart sum(count) as count by Hour

Hope it helps,
BR
Ralph
--

--
0 Karma

sweiland
Path Finder

Works indeed perfectly, thanks to both of you

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

The Splunk Success Framework: Your Guide to Successful Splunk Implementations

Splunk Lantern is a customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Splunk Training for All: Meet Aspiring Cybersecurity Analyst, Marc Alicea

Splunk Education believes in the value of training and certification in today’s rapidly-changing data-driven ...

Investigate Security and Threat Detection with VirusTotal and Splunk Integration

As security threats and their complexities surge, security analysts deal with increased challenges and ...