Dashboards & Visualizations

Controlling format of chart tooltips

beaumaris
Communicator

We have a number of charts that show statistics about Servers over time. When you hover over a data point in the chart, a "tooltip" is displayed that shows the time value for the cell, the data value for the cell, and the Server name (standard Splunk behavior). The problem is that the Server names are very long, so as part of the standard Splunk behavior the name is abbreviated by putting ellipses in the middle of the Server name. In our case the leading parts of the Server name are the significant characters, so we're really like the ellipses at the end of the displayed name. We've already made this change in the advanced XML to control the Server names displayed in the legend, but have not found a way to control this in the tooltips. Any hints on how to do this, or other options to address our issue (e.g. widening the tooltip box) will be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

Jason
Motivator

Check overflowMode in the latest viz manual. Looks like you can apply it to legends if using JSChart.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/AdvChartingConfig-TextblockLayoutspriteSprite

0 Karma

wmosher
Path Finder

Not sure if you ever found an answer to this but the default tool tips in version 4.3 are so much better. Worth upgrading for that alone!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...