Dashboards & Visualizations

Collection items within Navigation Menu missing

lampert_marksu
Explorer

We have a navigation menu set up and have two challenges. The first is that we don't always see all collections w/in the navigation.

For example, when we navigate to "Reports" to view all reports, Dashboard collections do not appear. If I navigate to "Dashboards" to view all dashboards, I can see all Dashboard and Reports collections. I would like to always see all collections in the drop down lists. I have searched forums and documentation but I don't see where/why this is occurring.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

what is the splunk version you're using?

0 Karma

sdorich
Communicator

Maybe you have all of the correct syntax and the correct file in the correct place however if you don't you will have issues with your navigation menu. First you should have your navigation menu in a file called "default.xml". This file should be in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps//default/data/ui/nav/.

Then in default.xml, you should have something like the following:

0 Karma

lampert_marksu
Explorer

Sure thing. Here's an excerpt:

I repeat the highest level (Collection #1) down for three more collections, where the match on dashboards and reports are topic specific.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

would you mind providing your version of navigation.xml here?

0 Karma

lampert_marksu
Explorer

Thanks for the feedback.
We do have the version in local folder of our application vs. changed the menu of a splunk app as mentioned.

It's odd because if I am looking at a dashbord (within my app), my dropdowns contain all collections as expected. If I'm looking at a report (within my app), only report collections are displayed. I'm continuing to search documentation and will update if I find something.

Additional feedback is appreciated.

0 Karma

sdorich
Communicator

Yeah that's true. I guess it depends on whether they are creating their own app or are changing the navigation menu of a Splunk app in which case you would definitely want to change it in the local folder.

0 Karma

somesoni2
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The navigation.xml from $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps//local/data/ui/nav/ will overwrite default folder's copy. Ensure all the changes your want is done on the local folder's copy (if exists).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...