Dashboards & Visualizations

Can we add a time range picker that interacts dynamically with dashboard panels in Splunk 6.1 via the GUI rather than XML?

tylerbryson
Engager

As in the dashboard tutorial for Splunk 6, I'm happy converting panels from reports into inline searches. However, it seems: add input --> time, works differently than Splunk 6's "add time range picker" option. The latter generates this XML:

<fieldset autoRun="true" submitButton="false">
     <input type="time" searchWhenChanged="true">
       <default>
         *whatever the user sets*
       </default>
     </input>
  </fieldset>

whereas the former yields:

<fieldset submitButton="false">
    <input type="time" token="field1">
      <label/>
      <default>
        <earliestTime>0</earliestTime>
        <latestTime/>
      </default>
    </input>
  </fieldset>

Is the functionality of adding a time range picker preserved in 6.1?

In either case, creating a dynamic dashboard---which updates its panels with the changing of a time input---seemingly requires us to edit the XML directly, if only to delete the auto-generated time ranges ( <earliestTime> & <latestTime> ) for clones of reports. Is there a solution making use purely of functionality in the GUI?

1 Solution

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can create a time range picker using the Dashboard Editor, see the Create and edit forms topic in the Dashboards and Visualizations manual.

View solution in original post

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can create a time range picker using the Dashboard Editor, see the Create and edit forms topic in the Dashboards and Visualizations manual.

tylerbryson
Engager

Thanks ChrisG, this seems to answer my question and clue me into a whole lot more awesome Splunk functionality. I'll run through my specific problem shortly.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...