Dashboards & Visualizations

Can Splunk dashboards be called via REST API from another external reporting system?

skender27
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I am trying to provide a way for business people to have a Splunk dashboard in another system (basically a reporting system).
Is there a way via API calls to have one specific Splunk dashboard (which might be also be an html dashboard) into another external system?

Thanks for any suggestion,
Skender

0 Karma
1 Solution

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Create any report with any type of chart, save it, then under the edit menu add a schedule to it. You can pick something like run every hour X minutes after the hour if you want it to run quickly to see the results. Then, under the edit menu again, select embed. A pop up window with an iframe is presented. Simply copy that iframe snippet into any HTML page and you are done. Because it is HTML and you can add as many scheduled reports as you like, you can really customize the HTML branding/crhome and style. You can also customize the size info in the iframe.

Here is what a generic looks like:

<html>
<iframe height="336" width="480" frameborder="0" src="http://localhost:8000/en-US/embed?s=%2FservicesNS%2Fadmin%2Fsearch%2Fsaved%2Fsearches%2FPlaces&oid=SLLKu8lxDX5GTjhwJ2rYnhmCuboOgsHdgS3ybTeYjlpu3yt%5EnipPtkX1Y4jqsD0ctENOSpbbKEXvf3j_wr5IxYpmerFGXPhXiHPAhP4Hn0WP7sIC1yIftskLPE0yhIfjEusW"></iframe>
</html>

alt text

View solution in original post

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Create any report with any type of chart, save it, then under the edit menu add a schedule to it. You can pick something like run every hour X minutes after the hour if you want it to run quickly to see the results. Then, under the edit menu again, select embed. A pop up window with an iframe is presented. Simply copy that iframe snippet into any HTML page and you are done. Because it is HTML and you can add as many scheduled reports as you like, you can really customize the HTML branding/crhome and style. You can also customize the size info in the iframe.

Here is what a generic looks like:

<html>
<iframe height="336" width="480" frameborder="0" src="http://localhost:8000/en-US/embed?s=%2FservicesNS%2Fadmin%2Fsearch%2Fsaved%2Fsearches%2FPlaces&oid=SLLKu8lxDX5GTjhwJ2rYnhmCuboOgsHdgS3ybTeYjlpu3yt%5EnipPtkX1Y4jqsD0ctENOSpbbKEXvf3j_wr5IxYpmerFGXPhXiHPAhP4Hn0WP7sIC1yIftskLPE0yhIfjEusW"></iframe>
</html>

alt text

skender27
Contributor

Hi dmaislin,

So I understand that in order to be embedded, a report MUST be scheduled and so run (at least once) before.
I just tried it now. It works!

Thanks a lot,
Skender

0 Karma

dmaislin_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Fantastic! Glad to help with a relatively unknown but great feature of Splunk!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...