Dashboards & Visualizations

App Development: on startup of an app i'm building, how do I set global variable that can be used in dashboards?

dmoulais

This may be a beginners question ... not sure ... but I have looked around and performed a fair bit of reading ...

I'm starting w/ basic app development.

When my app starts up — or on change later — I want the user to provide a hostname to my app (e.g. hostname). That hostname is then referenced in dashboards throughout the app (e.g. via $hostname$) to ensure the relevant searches etc are using that hostname. I tried using setup.xml and then using the $ notation to access the variable ... but that did not work. I suspect I'm going in the wrong direction. Still investigating but figured I'd ask the experts 🙂

0 Karma

christoffertoft
Communicator

Define "global" ? Do you want the value to be saved between reboots/visits to other dashboards/apps etc? or just for the duration of the current view?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...