All Apps and Add-ons

Why won't the Splunk Add-on Builder load?

scadaman
Explorer

I have installed the Splunk Add-on Builder and CIM components in my test environment. The plan is to develop an app for a specific piece of software; however, when I first load the Add-on Builder app, it pops up asking whether I want to send feedback to Splunk. I check the box appropriately, but then the tab_home page loads but there is no real content. I can see the header saying Splunk Add-on Builder on the right side of the page but the content below is empty (see below). I have tried to reinstall and remove every fragment of the existing installation, but it doesn't make a difference.
alt text

Splunk 6.6.2.

1 Solution

scadaman
Explorer

Found the issue. So I looked in the splunkd log and found it complaining about a role that did not exist. Once I created the role the app began working. Very strange because the role wasn't even related to this app.

View solution in original post

scadaman
Explorer

Found the issue. So I looked in the splunkd log and found it complaining about a role that did not exist. Once I created the role the app began working. Very strange because the role wasn't even related to this app.

0YAoNnmRmKDg
Path Finder

Fixed it for me too - odd issue. ran this search

index=_internal  component=AuthorizationManager

and created the missing roles with no capabilites and the page loaded straight away

Thanks!

0 Karma

glen_drivas
Explorer

What role did you create?

0 Karma

scadaman
Explorer

In my case it was the winfra-admin one. However, looking at the log it should give the name of the role that is missing.

0 Karma

ktwingstrom
Path Finder

@scadaman where exactly did you look to find the name of the user with the problem? I have been looking in splunkd logs and can't find any reference to a role not existing. Getting the same errors you mentioned here. I know this was a while back but do you remember? Thanks

0 Karma

lfedak_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @scadaman, Nice work diagnosing your issue and thanks for providing the info to the Anwers forum for anyone else facing this issue. If you accept your own answer you can begin accumulating more karma points. 🙂 Happy Splunking!

0 Karma

scadaman
Explorer

Thanks for the tip @lfedak

0 Karma

samlinsongguo
Communicator

what I did was just restart splunkd service and it works again, not sure why.

0 Karma

scadaman
Explorer

I'm also getting any error: Unable to initialize modular input "validation_mi" defined inside the app "splunk_app_addon-builder": Introspecting scheme=validation_mi: script running failed (exited with code 255).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...