All Apps and Add-ons

Why search with postprocessing returns no results in dashboard, but the actual search does?

Explorer

Heya,
I've looked around Answers for a similar problem, but haven't found one yet (edit: I know it seems to be a common problem, but let's say I haven't found a scenario like mine, or an answer). I'm sure this is something really simple that I've done wrong, and it's nagging at me.

I have a simple search that I've plugged into the postprocessing example from the Splunk 6.x Dashboards templates. Here's an excerpt:

  <label>CIP Application Metrics</label>
  <description>Each panel post processes the base search through a separate search pipeline.</description>
  <searchTemplate>index=main eventtype=cip-prd layer7_app="CIP"</searchTemplate>

<snip fieldset/timepicker stuff/>

  <row>
    <panel>
      <chart>
        <title>Inbound Connections</title>
        <searchPostProcess>timechart span=1m sum(cip_inbound_connections_http) by host | fillnull value=0</searchPostProcess>
        <option name="charting.chart">line</option>
        <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisNone</option>
        <option name="charting.axisLabelsX.majorLabelStyle.rotation">0</option>
        <option name="charting.axisTitleX.visibility">visible</option>
        <option name="charting.axisTitleY.visibility">visible</option>
        <option name="charting.axisTitleY2.visibility">visible</option>
        <option name="charting.axisX.scale">linear</option>
        <option name="charting.axisY.scale">logarithmic</option>
        <option name="charting.axisY2.enabled">false</option>
        <option name="charting.axisY2.scale">inherit</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.nullValueMode">gaps</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.sliceCollapsingThreshold">0.01</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.stackMode">default</option>
        <option name="charting.chart.style">shiny</option>
        <option name="charting.drilldown">all</option>
        <option name="charting.layout.splitSeries">0</option>
        <option name="charting.legend.labelStyle.overflowMode">ellipsisMiddle</option>
        <option name="charting.legend.placement">right</option>
        <option name="wrap">true</option>
        <option name="rowNumbers">false</option>
        <option name="dataOverlayMode">none</option>
      </chart>
    </panel>

When the dashboards run, it returns "no results" in all of the panels I've created with their specific search criteria and timecharts. I can't upload a screenshot, because I have insufficient karma (doh).

But when I "open the search" in a new window from that dashboard panel, the search performs as expected. I have three timechart lines showing the connections by host over the specified period.

This isn't a huge result set - maybe a total of 180 records per hour. There shouldn't be gaps, because each field should return a "0" rather than a null, but I added a fillnull to be extra sure.

Is there something really embarrassing that I'm missing, here? I'm using Splunk 6.1.2, and the 6.1 template. I'm not using SideView, unless that's somehow bundled into the dashboard templates. I'd be grateful for a nudge in the right direction.

SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I just ran into a similar issue with post-processing using a summary index. The summary index uses | fields rather than | table. In my base search prior to post-processing, I added | table *, and that helped to force the fields down for post-processing. Thanks for the tips!

Ultra Champion

Keep an eye out that I think some of the tags used in this post are deprecated. I think this is the same as what is now done with base and id attributes on the search object. The tags are described a bit here: http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Viz/PanelreferenceforSimplifiedXML#search

Not sure if the newer tags express the same issue discussed here.

0 Karma

Path Finder

I had a similar issue with my post process searches in my dashboard. I piped the "|fields *" and it helped . the dashboard showed the charts.. thanks

My xml was getting truncated in this textbox so i have uploaded an image.

alt text

0 Karma

Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Just spoke with my product manager over the SimpleXML…

Change your searchTemplate to this:

<searchTemplate>index=main eventtype=cip-prd layer7_app=“CIP | fields *"</searchTemplate>

It's because we run all dashboard searches in fast mode, so fields are not passed down to the post process search. Adding the " *| fields **" will force the search to extract all fields and make them available for the post process. Thanks Nick!