All Apps and Add-ons

Why is the Splunk App for Unix and Linux displaying events for data from another index?

pvuong
Explorer

Hello,

I installed SA-nix, splunk_app_for_nix, Splunk_TA_nix for indexing all my Linux host system data.
I have several questions about these three apps/add-ons

Where I do I put my local inputs.conf and local indexes.conf ?

SA-nix/local/[inputs.conf  | indexes.conf ] 
splunk_app_for_nix/local/[inputs.conf | indexes.conf ]  
splunk_app_for_nix/install/SA-nix/local/[inputs.conf | indexes.conf ]  
splunk_app_for_nix/install/Splunk_TA_nix/local/[inputs.conf | indexes.conf ]  
Splunk_TA_nix/local/[inputs.conf | indexes.conf ]

Which changes can it make according to these different locations of my inputs.conf or indexes.conf?

Web interface of Splunk App For Unix
In the settings parameters, I have configured my Linux Index(es) to contain Linux host data.

Example:
index=os

index=sys_linux (which has all my linux syslog indexed with sourcetype=syslog)
In this logic, Splunk App For Unix can display only all events in these indexes ...

But in Metrics/Hosts tab, I can see Cisco events from other hosts which has been indexing in another index (index=net_cisco) and another sourcetype (sourcetype=cisco:ios)
I don't understand why my Splunk App For Unix can display the information/events which from another index that doesn't concern Linux data.

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Marie

0 Karma

pvuong
Explorer

The recent version : splunk_app_for_nix 5.1.0

In this Unix app searches powering, it search in all index that i created for differents apps and TA
I think it's normal that the search powering can search for all index which are allowed in user control roles.

In WebUI Unix App, i thought that each App can only see the index belong to its own contexte ?

Thnx

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

i think these files come with the installation package.
splunk_app_for_nix/install/SA-nix/local/[inputs.conf | indexes.conf ]

splunk_app_for_nix/install/Splunk_TA_nix/local/[inputs.conf | indexes.conf ]
whereas, the remaining files (/local/), first we will copy them from install package and then we will need to edit them as per our environment.

from Splunk® App for Unix and Linux Install and Use the Splunk App for Unix and Linux 5.2.0 document -

Splunk also uses configuration files to configure itself. When Splunk initializes, it
finds all of the configuration files located in the Splunk directory and merges them
to build a final "master" configuration, which it then runs on. When you install a
Splunk app on a Splunk instance, Splunk must determine which configuration
files to use if it encounters a conflict. This is where configuration file precedence
comes in.
It's important to understand how precedence works. In many cases, if there is a
configuration file conflict, Splunk gives priority to an app's configuration file. In
some situations, installing an app might inadvertently override a setting in a
configuration file in the core platform, which might lead to undesired results in
data collection. Be sure to read the previously mentioned topic thoroughly for
details.

0 Karma

jmheaton
Path Finder

What version of the Unix app are you using?
Check the searches powering the tab and see what index its referring to.

0 Karma

pvuong
Explorer

Up again ....

No body hast'n met the problem i mentioned ? Only my Splunk Instance have this symptom ?

0 Karma

pvuong
Explorer

Hello everyone,

Any help, please ??

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...