All Apps and Add-ons

Why is the IMAPMailbox Mail not indexing?

ccsfdave
Builder

I am looking for some help figuring out why the mail is not indexing.

When I run /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd python bin/get_imap_email.py –debug at the very end, I see the test email I sent into that mailbox:

DEBUG:splunk.rest:simpleRequest < server responded status=200 responseTime=0.0098s
DEBUG:splunk.search:getStatus - elapsed=0.00991606712341 nextRetry=0.0500000078002
DEBUG:root:
DEBUG:root: mailbox was empty
DEBUG:splunk.search:Executing action=cancel on job id=1519852592.75
DEBUG:splunk.rest:simpleRequest > POST https://localhost:8089/services/search/jobs/1519852592.75/control [action=cancel] sessionSource=direct timeout=30
DEBUG:splunk.rest:simpleRequest < server responded status=200 responseTime=0.0071s
DEBUG:root:using last time of
\*\*\*SPLUNK\*\*\* source=Inbox sourcetype=imap host=outlook.office365.com
EndIMAPMessage
DEBUG:root:about to get all mail up to counter :1
DEBUG:root:about so imap search with : (UNDELETED 1:201)
DEBUG:root:returned from search with 1ids
DEBUG:root:id return from search : ['1']
Date = "28-Feb-2018 12:58:23 -0800"
From = "Mouse, Mickey (DIS) mickey.mouse@domain.tld" 
To = "Mailbox, IMAP (DIS) imapmailbox@domain.tld" 
Subject = "test" mailbox = "Inbox" size = 12867

____________________  Message Body  ____________________
html xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:w="urn:schemas-microso…

So from the CLI, it seems to eventually pull the email but the index is not seeing it. Even the index=* search doesn’t find the mail. Do you have any other suggestions?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ccsfdave
Builder

Well, once I got to the above configuration and confirmation via CLI, it was just a matter of changing the inputs.conf to reflect the architecture of my splunk instance not the mail server - as I originally thought.

Thanks to pj@dysan.net for helping me via email.  (I only mention because the email was referenced in the README and on BASE and I want to both give props and denote that the email address is monitored

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ccsfdave
Builder

Well, once I got to the above configuration and confirmation via CLI, it was just a matter of changing the inputs.conf to reflect the architecture of my splunk instance not the mail server - as I originally thought.

Thanks to pj@dysan.net for helping me via email.  (I only mention because the email was referenced in the README and on BASE and I want to both give props and denote that the email address is monitored
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...