All Apps and Add-ons

Why is DBConnect for Sybase giving the following error "Connect error: no protocol"?

MikaJustasACN
Path Finder

Hello Everyone

I am setting up database monitoring using DBconnect, it worked well for MSSQL, Oracle, DB2 however Sybase is not giving up. I am getting the following error:

Connect error: no protocol: :myip:myport/databasename

In drivers section, it got recognised correctly as version 7.0. Any ideas on the issue? I am able to telnet to the host:port so no network issues there.

0 Karma
1 Solution

andreacorvini
Path Finder

Are you using DB Connect 3.1.3 version?
If yes, please try with 3.1.2.
I have had several issues with different DBs with the latest version.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

nvij_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Try this - jdbc:jtds:sybase://hostname:port/database

0 Karma

andreacorvini
Path Finder

Are you using DB Connect 3.1.3 version?
If yes, please try with 3.1.2.
I have had several issues with different DBs with the latest version.

0 Karma

MikaJustasACN
Path Finder

Now the question, how do you get an older version, cannot seem to find a repo for that. Its either 2.4.1 or 3.1.3 on the splunkbase.

0 Karma

andreacorvini
Path Finder

Not available if you don't have a backup. Write me an email, I'll answer with a private link. andrea.corvini@gmail.com

0 Karma

MikaJustasACN
Path Finder

Thank you for the package. Now getting a new error:
"JZ00L: Login failed. Examine the SQLWarnings chained to this exception for the reason(s).". I have checked the changes between DBconnect 3.1.3 and 3.1.2, it is stated that there are no changes but it does give different error 🙂 Anyway, are there any specific JVM parameters for Sybase or anything? Or extra jars?

0 Karma

andreacorvini
Path Finder

See here:
https://community.oracle.com/thread/698380

Which version of jdk are you using?
See here:
https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/i-cannot-connect-to-sybase-db-browser/
This is an old version but anoter possible issue.

0 Karma

MikaJustasACN
Path Finder

Using JRE 1.8, with jdbc version 4.

Perfection! It works, connection string was incorrect, I think it should be a part of setup in official documentation.

So resolution for the problem:
1. downgrade the DBconnect to 3.1.2 as 3.1.3 was causing some issue with protocol identification.
2. Modify connection URL towards sybase to specify charset.

0 Karma

MikaJustasACN
Path Finder

Yup, I am running 3.1.3. I will give it a try later today if no one comes with a better option.

0 Karma

mmasalas
Explorer

How does your jdbc url look like? Is protocol mentioned in there (tds for Sybase, I assume).

0 Karma

MikaJustasACN
Path Finder

jdbc:sybase:Tds:ip:port/dbname

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...