All Apps and Add-ons

VMware and Splunk WITHOUT vCenter

sammiller1210
Engager

Hello,

We are currently setting up our ESXI server to work with Splunk. We know of the VMWare App but when reading everything I realized we may need vCenter as well. Is there anyway that you can use Splunk and VMWare without VCenter?

1 Solution

abhide_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can use the current version you are using without needing vCenters. Unmanaged hosts are supported.

Please take a look at the documentation here, scroll down a little to the heading "Create stanzas to cover unmanaged ESX/i hosts in your environment"
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/VMW/latest/Install/Asimpleengine.conf#Configure_ESX.2Fi_host_da...

View solution in original post

bmacias84
Champion

Do you not use vcenter? The answer is yes you can vmware has an sdk you can to pull data. Sdk comes in perl and powershell last I checked (Been a couple of years).

0 Karma

abhide_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can use the current version you are using without needing vCenters. Unmanaged hosts are supported.

Please take a look at the documentation here, scroll down a little to the heading "Create stanzas to cover unmanaged ESX/i hosts in your environment"
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/VMW/latest/Install/Asimpleengine.conf#Configure_ESX.2Fi_host_da...

abhide_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The folder that you need in the Splunk instance is downloadable. The folder you need is Splunk_TA_vmware, and it is part of the splunk_for_vmware-.zip file that you can get off splunkbase. Unzip that zip file somehwhere, the extracted version will contain the following folder structure etc/apps. In etc/apps you will find a bunch of Add-ons the one you need is Splunk_TA_vmware. This is the link on splunkbase for the zip file: http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/28423/splunk-app-for-vmware. you can copy Splunk_TA_vmware onto the splunk instance on Virtual apliance, it has the needed

0 Karma

akuzma
Engager

in 2.0.0 version of splunk forwarder virtual appliance for vmware there's no splunk_for_vmware_appliance folder so I cannot compile engine.conf file, is there any other way to compile it/use splunk on esxi without vcenter? Maybe you know where I can download older version of forwarder fo vmware?

sammiller1210
Engager

This seems to have worked so far! There is only one issue, the Virtual System Health and Host System Health both seem to be blank. I am not sure if this is a feature only available when interfacing with VCenter, though. Any ideas? Thank you so much for your help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...