All Apps and Add-ons

Using Splunk Enterprise and Splunk App for VMware trials, why are we seeing "auto_generated_pool_enterprise = 0mb" in the licensing section?

runtbog

Hi - This may be more of a general Splunk issue, however, I am giving Splunk a go to see if it can help us monitor our VMware environment.

Installed Trial Splunk - (Enterprise - not free) and VMware App (Trial) . Data is being collected - all good. However, in the licensing section we have :

auto_generated_pool_enterprise = 0mb

We cannot edit this value as we seem to be only licensed for 0mb - therefore getting a lot of over quota warnings. Which in turn will stop searching the data.

Why is this? Is this normal for the trial version? Are you suppose to get a trail license key to enter that bumps up the quota?

Thanks in advance
Russell

0 Karma
1 Solution

kserra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

HI Russell,

The vmware trial (and normal license) uses a 0mb value. When splunk indexes it indexes against the actual license you have and does not count against the vmware license. The vmware license exists only to tell splunk you have purchased that app.

The quota issue you cite sounds like a splunkd.log log message about a user going over disk quota. This is a separate issue which has to do with how much data each splunk search user can use on disk. If the error message are different than this please post examples.

Additionally there is a known issue with the vmware license on 3.1.3 version of vmware app. If you are on this app I would advise that you upgrade to 3.1.4

View solution in original post

samccet

i have the similar issue.i couldn't find any document or solution for this..if someone had this issue and resolved please let us know the process to fix this issue.
Below are the warnings in the licencing page
In the Splunk > System > Licencing

1 pool warning reported by 1 indexer - correct by midnight to avoid violation
1 pool quota overage warning reported - correct by midnight to avoid violation

Under the Pools Table
auto_generated_pool_enterprise 17 MB / 0 MB

0 Karma

kserra_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

HI Russell,

The vmware trial (and normal license) uses a 0mb value. When splunk indexes it indexes against the actual license you have and does not count against the vmware license. The vmware license exists only to tell splunk you have purchased that app.

The quota issue you cite sounds like a splunkd.log log message about a user going over disk quota. This is a separate issue which has to do with how much data each splunk search user can use on disk. If the error message are different than this please post examples.

Additionally there is a known issue with the vmware license on 3.1.3 version of vmware app. If you are on this app I would advise that you upgrade to 3.1.4

dibrovs

We have the same issue. Any ideas?

0 Karma

runtbog

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - im not sure that answers the problem. We are running 3.1.4

In the Splunk > System > Licencing

1 pool warning reported by 1 indexer - correct by midnight to avoid violation
1 pool quota overage warning reported - correct by midnight to avoid violation
1 license window warning reported by 1 indexer

Under the Pools Table
auto_generated_pool_enterprise 29 MB / 0 MB

If i try to edit that pool I get that the licensed maximum is 0mb. So as far as i can tell - we are going over licence straight away.

I've checked the licencing and we do have the Splunk Enterprise Trial active and valid.
Any ideas?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...