All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk for JMX setup

NK_1
Path Finder

I'm using the free version of Splunk 4.2 for Windows. JMX app is installed and configured.

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\SPLUNK4JMX\bin>poll_jmx.bat config.xml

produces output that indicates that it connected to a JVM via the remote JMX interface.
(jconsole also works fine from this windows machine to connect to the remote JMX interface)

But I see no output in SpunkWeb i.e. searching

index=jmx

returns nothing.

What does "ensure you have enabled the poll_jmx.sh / poll_jmx.bat script input" mean?

Do I need to do something to make the app call poll_jmx.bat periodically?

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Hello NK 1,

What does "ensure you have enabled the
poll_jmx.sh / poll_jmx.bat script
input" mean?

In SPLUNK Web, go to Manager->Data Inputs->Scripts ,and ensure that the "status" for the script is "enabled".

By default when you install SPLUNK4JMX, the "poll_jmx" script is disabled .

The reason being so that you can first configure your XML config file with your environment settings before SPLUNK starts to poll your JMX servers.

Furthermore, read over the PDF docs..there is heaps of good gravy in there 🙂

View solution in original post

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Cool. In the next version I'll probably add a "setup" step to the App, to only add the script(bat or sh) for the platform(win or nix) you are installing on.

DD.

alexander_radzi
Engager

Good idea. Could be really helpful.

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Hello NK 1,

What does "ensure you have enabled the
poll_jmx.sh / poll_jmx.bat script
input" mean?

In SPLUNK Web, go to Manager->Data Inputs->Scripts ,and ensure that the "status" for the script is "enabled".

By default when you install SPLUNK4JMX, the "poll_jmx" script is disabled .

The reason being so that you can first configure your XML config file with your environment settings before SPLUNK starts to poll your JMX servers.

Furthermore, read over the PDF docs..there is heaps of good gravy in there 🙂

NK_1
Path Finder

Thanks Damien!
The .sh script was Enabled there, and the .bat script was Disabled.
I reversed that, and it works now.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...