All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Stream TA with capturing capability turned off

support0
Path Finder

Hi there,

I have deployed Splunk Stream on a distributed environment to ingest DNS first.

I have followed howtos here and there and everything is fine with collected data.

One thing remains unclear.

I have Splunk Stream + Stream TA on my ES Search Head
Stream TA on another Search Head > just for parsing
Stream TA on Deployement Server > just for parsing
Stream TA on Indexer > for indexing, timestamp etc.
Stream TA + inputs on DNS servers

However I do receive error messages from SH, DS & IDX mentioning permission issues :

Unable to initialize modular input "streamfwd" defined inside the app "Splunk_TA_stream": Introspecting scheme=streamfwd: Unable to run "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_stream/linux_x86_64/bin/streamfwd --scheme": child failed to start: Permission denied

I have already used set_permissions.sh so that might be due to the the fact that Splunk is running as non-root.

However, on these instance, the TA is not there for capturing any stream, so isn't better to just turn off TA's network capturing capability ?

I am wondering what files should I removed from the TA to do this and if this is is a good idea to do so.

Thanks in advance,

Tags (1)
0 Karma

support0
Path Finder

Hi,

Thanks for the help,

Actually I had the same issue than the one described there :

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/475630/splunk-app-for-stream-why-does-set-permissionssh-s.html

So I resolved it the same way.

Thanks

0 Karma

vshcherbakov_sp
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Have you checked whether streamfwd modular input is disabled on IDX/SH/DS instances?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...