All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect: Why am I getting error "no schema found" after selecting my database in the Catalog field?

chustar
Path Finder

I am configuring a new Splunk instance to reference data stored in our MSSQL database.
I've configured Splunk with DB Connect v2 and it seems to be able to connect to our DB successfully.
I then tried to access the DB using the web interface. After selecting my database in the Catalog field, it says "no schema found". What is this Schema field?

1 Solution

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In DB, there are schemas available and each schema have different table. So in DB you need to provide schema access & table access to user from which splunk is trying to fetch data.

View solution in original post

flakshack
Explorer

I got this error message and thought I would post my solution here in case it helps someone else.

It turns out that I had this problem, even when using an account I had configured as sysadmin on the server. For example, I could connect to the SQL server with SQL Server Management Studio with this account and could see the database and all the tables. However, when I connected with the same account in DB Connect\SQL Explorer, it would show all of the databases in the Catalog combo box, but I would get an error message for the Schema combo box, "Cannot get schemas."

I turned on DB Connect logging and would see the following error in the log file:

ERROR c.s.d.s.a.s.d.impl.DatabaseMetadataServiceImpl - Unable to get schemas metadata
com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: Invalid object name '[my_database].sys.schemas'.

I turned out that this problem was because I was using the MS SQL Server JDBC driver version 7. When setting it up, I figured I would ignore Splunk's guidance to use version 4.1 or 4.2 and use the latest available version. Turns out this was a bad idea.

In my testing if I copy the version 4.2 driver into the folder and restart, everything works great. Then if I copy the version 7 driver into the folder and restart, I get this error message (without any changes to permissions or anything).

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

mikebanks
Engager

I was having the same issue and your solution did the trick.

Thanks!

0 Karma

ellanjie

Thank you for this trick it helps me to avoid having that error. I did not ignore Splunk guidance to use the version it proposed.

I appreciate!

0 Karma

chio37

IMPORTANT
I am having the same problem "Cannot get schemas". I think this problem is related to permissions but i am not sure

0 Karma

chio37

IMPORTANT
Can someone help me to solve the problem "Cannot get schemas"?. I thing that this problem is related to permissions, but i am not sure

0 Karma

Shyngys_Bolatbe
Engager

Do you solve this problem?

0 Karma

jay1077

Don't use mysql as default DB while configuring the connection instead make a new db and new user in DB.

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In DB, there are schemas available and each schema have different table. So in DB you need to provide schema access & table access to user from which splunk is trying to fetch data.

chustar
Path Finder

hi @harsmarvania57, your comment helped me find an answer! thanks

saichandjawari
Explorer

Hi @harsmarvania57 .. May I know where exactly to edit permissions to get rid of the "schema error". Thanks!

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Permissions on the Database side, talk with your Database Administrator.

0 Karma

n00badmin
Communicator

Hey @chustar, can you elaborate on what you did?

I am facing the same issue..im using a different db...but perhaps it can set me on the right track

0 Karma

chustar
Path Finder

I didn't know that SQLServer has a difference between Databases and Schemas. I had to go into the server, find the user that splunk is using to sign in and give them permission to read the schema.

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@chusar: Thanks, can you please accept my comment as an answer.

0 Karma

chustar
Path Finder

I don't think i can accept comments. Can you make it an answer instead?

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

taken care of 🙂 cheers!

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@ppablo_splunk Thanks

0 Karma

chustar
Path Finder

thanks @ppablo_splunk. the new title is so much better!

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

No problem @chustar, I hope you find an answer soon!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...