All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk DB Connect 2.2.0: Why am I getting error "HTTP 402 Payment Required -- In handler 'shclusterconfig': Requires license feature='DistSearch'"?

godofdoom999

Hi,

I'm getting the following error. Could someone help with debugging this?
Splunk 6.4.1
DB Connect 2.2.0

[INFO] [mi_base.py], line 187: action=caught_exception_in_modular_input_with_retries modular_input=mi_input://test retrying="1 of 6" error=HTTP 402 Payment Required -- 
 In handler 'shclusterconfig': Requires license feature='DistSearch'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\mi_base.py", line 178, in run
    should_execute = runner.pre_run()
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\mi_base.py", line 118, in pre_run
    should_execute = self.clustering_precheck()
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\mi_base.py", line 103, in clustering_precheck
    shc_cluster_config = ShcClusterConfig(splunk_service)
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\shc_cluster_config.py", line 9, in __init__
    client.Entity.__init__(self, service, 'shcluster/config', **kwargs)
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\..\splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg\splunklib\client.py", line 872, in __init__
    self.refresh(kwargs.get('state', None))  # "Prefresh"
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\..\splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg\splunklib\client.py", line 1011, in refresh
    self._state = self.read(self.get())
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\..\splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg\splunklib\client.py", line 981, in get
    return super(Entity, self).get(path_segment, owner=owner, app=app, sharing=sharing, **query)
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\..\splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg\splunklib\client.py", line 738, in get
    **query)
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\..\splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg\splunklib\binding.py", line 286, in wrapper
    return request_fun(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\..\splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg\splunklib\binding.py", line 68, in new_f
    val = f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\..\splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg\splunklib\binding.py", line 660, in get
    response = self.http.get(path, self._auth_headers, **query)
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\..\splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg\splunklib\binding.py", line 1150, in get
    return self.request(url, { 'method': "GET", 'headers': headers })
  File "F:\Program Files\splunk\etc\apps\splunk_app_db_connect\bin\dbx2\..\splunk_client\..\splunk_sdk-1.5.0-py2.7.egg\splunklib\binding.py", line 1205, in request
    raise HTTPError(response)
HTTPError: HTTP 402 Payment Required -- 
 In handler 'shclusterconfig': Requires license feature='DistSearch'
0 Karma
1 Solution

jbueso
Path Finder

You need to setup your server as slave with your license server or review you don't have an invalid license.

After a proper license install, it seems to work fine now.

Hope this helps anyone else.

View solution in original post

fab73
Path Finder

New DB connector feature is called "Identity": identity links an identity to a Splunk's user, but authentication is not available on a Free License, i.e. a License Master is needed to work with more than one connection. Also DB connections con be asssigned to a specific index, i.e. the DB Connector nodes needs to be indexers, so if the node is a Free Trial license, it is limited to 500 MB/day.

0 Karma

apezuela
Explorer

I got answer from our splunk partner. DBX Connect 2 require enterprise license in the forwarder (if not after 2 months the forwarder stop working). We had to associated it with master licence server

gfuente
Motivator

Hello

Exactly, this is because the DBX 2 app relies on roles and features, and are needed to work properly. After 2 months, the HF License expires (is an enterprise trial) and switchs to free license, disabling roles and other features that are not available in the free license.

Regards

0 Karma

jbueso
Path Finder

You need to setup your server as slave with your license server or review you don't have an invalid license.

After a proper license install, it seems to work fine now.

Hope this helps anyone else.

evelenke
Contributor

Hi,

have the the same error. All my inputs became disabled with no data forwarding to the indexer.

Can I expect changing server to slave will resolve it, did you have the same picture ?

0 Karma

jbueso
Path Finder

Indeed, when you configure the server as a slave, you will inherit the license server configuration (you must configure it) and return to index properly.

0 Karma

evelenke
Contributor

After updating Splunk on HF to ver 6.4 it became Hunk.

1. Should we reinstall Splunk on HF to be Splunk not Hunk and Change it to Slave afterwards or Hunk is OK for Forwarder license?
    1. Did I understood correctly that change it to Slave is the same as "enterprise license in the forwarder "? Thank you.
0 Karma

jbueso
Path Finder

Thats correct

You simply need to configure your splunk instance to find the license server.

settings >> Licensing >> Associate to license server

And you should obtain a message like this:

This server is Associated with a remote master license to local master ServerSwitch

0 Karma

evelenke
Contributor

Don't have Licensing >> Associate to license server, instead there's "Licensing >> Change to slave >> Designate a different Splunk instance as the master license server". Is this the same? Sorry for this clarifications, but I need to be sure we're not doing something wrong )

0 Karma

jbueso
Path Finder

It is exactly as you mention, sorry if I made you doubt about messages

It is a totally safe action, so you can make the change without problem.

Discuss then if it worked.

0 Karma

evelenke
Contributor

Yes, this solution worked! So we had Heavy Forwarder with Free forwarder license and turned it to Slave. (We've also contacted Support for this issue and this was their recommendation as well). Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...