All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App for Jenkins: Why am I unable to establish a connection between Jenkins and Splunk?

nishanth_boovat
Explorer

Hello All,

I tried using the Splunk Plugin for Jenkins, have configured Splunk on another machine, and able to hit the Splunk on a browser.

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Splunk+Plugin+for+Jenkins

But connection establishment between Jenkins and Splunk is not happening, on the above link you can see step 1 on how to configure it, following that i end up by getting below error.

via port 8088:  failed: Connection refused (Connection refused)
8000: Unrecognized SSL message, plaintext connection?
8089: token: response:Unauthorized 

So not sure what's going wrong here, can someone help?

Thanks..

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If port 8088 isn't open, you'll first need to install the Splunk App for Jenkins: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3332/
That will open a HTTP Event Collector on port 8088 to receive data from Jenkins.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If port 8088 isn't open, you'll first need to install the Splunk App for Jenkins: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3332/
That will open a HTTP Event Collector on port 8088 to receive data from Jenkins.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is port 8088 enabled under Global Settings on the HEC page?

nishanth_boovat
Explorer

Enabled and finally it worked 🙂 Thanks a lot martin 🙂

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So... everything's working fine now?

0 Karma

nishanth_boovat
Explorer

No, still the same error on connection testing.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Mkay, next step would be to check if your splunk actually does have a HEC port open under 8088 and the token you're using on the Jenkins side is configured there - go to Settings -> Data Inputs -> HTTP Event Collector in the Splunk UI.

0 Karma

nishanth_boovat
Explorer

i was not having a token value initially so created it and added the same to jenkins, so its the same on both ends.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you telnet to 8088 from the splunk host itself? Either the port's not open, or your network doesn't let it through.

0 Karma

nishanth_boovat
Explorer

/opt/splunk/etc/apps # telnet localhost 8088
Trying ::1...
telnet: connect to address ::1: Connection refused
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

I tried checking the firewall rule and flushed the rules, still the same error persist.

0 Karma

nishanth_boovat
Explorer

Hello Martin,

Thank you for the reply, i have already installed Splunk app for jenkins but its the same error that i mentioned is coming up. Tried restarting both splunk and jenkins didn't help.

port 8088: failed: Connection refused (Connection refused)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...