All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk App For Unix and Linux not detecting logs

Montejam2
Explorer

I have installed the universal forwarder on a Linux machine and am receiving logs from /var/log on that machine in my Splunk receiver. I can actively search those logs and can see them coming via Splunk, however, when I open the Splunk App for *Nix it says there are no hosts and no data can be found. How do I configure my receiver to recognize machines as *NIX and populate the app with the proper data?

Montejam2
Explorer

I have it set up to index=os and index=main

I'm also having a problem bringing in local files via /proc/cpuinfo in that it won't let me merge it with the file cpu

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've asked about everything along the data -> input -> index -> macro -> group chain and been assured it's all fine... I'm at a loss. The next troubleshooting step would be to inpsect the searches from the source of the dashboard that's not showing what you expect.

0 Karma

Branden
Builder

Fyi, I am having a very similar problem. Unfortunately, there isn't a solution in this thread. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks!

0 Karma

Montejam2
Explorer

I have "all hosts" There is nothing else configured there.

hardware.sh and cpu.sh are both enabled. Still no data.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

in categories, you should have an "all hosts" or something -- is there anything configured there?

Have you enabled the hardware.sh input? cpu.sh is for performance metrics data.

0 Karma

Montejam2
Explorer

When I hit preview, I do see the data I expect.

With regards to the /proc/cpuinfo. I am trying to bring in data for cpu but it does not allow me to do so. Currently the cpu data is set to sourcetype=cpu however, I can not merge the logs from /proc/cpuinfo to the type cpu, it does not provide that as an option. Furthermore, if I create a new data type and set the cpu info to sourcetype=cpuinfo and hit preview, it provides nothing.

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

When you use the preview buttons on the setup page, do you get the data you expect?

"I'm also having a problem bringing in local files via /proc/cpuinfo in that it won't let me merge it with the file cpu" -- I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by that. Have you setup the inputs with the TA's setup page?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What index are you using? Have you set the unix app to search that index?

0 Karma

jcoates_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

did you install sysstat?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...