All Apps and Add-ons

Splunk Add-on for Infoblox v.1.1.0: Field extractions break with 8.4.x release

ablume
Explorer

Hi,

After upgrading our Infoblox solution to release 8.4.x a new hexadecimal field is introduced in the DNS syslog messages.
We were told by Infoblox support that there has been a change in behavior with the new BIND DNS which is Work as per Design.
This obviously had an impact on our datamodels in Enterprise Security.

Sample event

Jun 13 13:45:40 11.11.11.11 named[1234]: client @0x7f9df0e8b720 11.11.111.11#12345 (helloworld.com): query: helloworld.com IN AAAA +E(0) (11.11.11.1)

Does anyone know if Splunk plan to upgrade this TA?

We don't log responses so I couldn't dig into those events but I managed to solve it for requests, thought I might aswell share it here if anyone end up in the same situation 🙂

default/transforms.conf

[dns_request]
REGEX = client\s(?\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}|(?:::)?(?:[a-zA-Z\d]{1,4}::?){1,7}[a-zA-Z\d]{0,4})#(?\d+).*\s(?query):\s(?\S+)\s(?\w+)\s(?\w+)\s(?(?:\+|\-)\S*)\s\((?\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}|(?:::)?(?:[a-zA-Z\d]{1,4}::?){1,7}[a-zA-Z\d]{0,4})\)

local/transforms.conf

[dns_request]
REGEX = client(.*[^\s]*\s)(?\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}|(?:::)?(?:[a-zA-Z\d]{1,4}::?){1,7}[a-zA-Z\d]{0,4})#(?\d+).*\s(?query):\s(?\S+)\s(?\w+)\s(?\w+)\s(?(?:\+|\-)\S*)\s\((?\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}|(?:::)?(?:[a-zA-Z\d]{1,4}::?){1,7}[a-zA-Z\d]{0,4})\)

chaispaquichui
Explorer

Same issue here...

Btw, don't use .* in the beginning of this regex, it's not optimised because it cause a lot of backtracking. You can see it in regex101 (1407 steps to match)

https://regex101.com/r/fiPsS9/1

You can use \s\S+\s to match the id :

client\s\S+\s(?<dns_request_client_ip>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}|(?:::)?(?:[a-zA-Z\d]{1,4}::?){1,7}[a-zA-Z\d]{0,4})#(?<dns_request_client_port>\d+).*\s(?<message_type>query):\s(?<dns_request_queried_domain>\S+)\s(?<dns_request_class_name>\w+)\s(?<dns_request_type_name>\w+)\s(?<dns_request_setDC>(?:\+|\-)\S*)\s\((?<dns_request_name_serverIP>\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}\.\d{1,3}|(?:::)?(?:[a-zA-Z\d]{1,4}::?){1,7}[a-zA-Z\d]{0,4})\)

https://regex101.com/r/Dfl9pc/1

I don't have the permissions to open a case unfortunately...

ablume
Explorer

Yepp that's a nicer regex, thanks! I submitted a case at June 19th and they raised an enhancement request. I was told that I would receive future updates via our AM but haven't heard anything yet.

0 Karma

chaispaquichui
Explorer

Thx !

There is also a request to add ipv6 support to the regex

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/762543/add-on-for-infoblox-and-extractions-for-src-ip-whe-1.html#...

We just have to wait 🙂

0 Karma

ablume
Explorer

Nice! Ty for info 🙂

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you open a support case and include your solution, Splunk will be more likely to patch the TA.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...